Friday, February 12, 2021

Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge

 My "live-in gardener" and I had decided about a month ago that we needed to

get out of our house for an adventure each week.

Last Saturday we took an adventure to Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge.

I knew it was there, only about a 30 minute drive north into Washington State;

but somehow in all the 40+ years living nearby we had not visited.

Now I am almost embarrassed to say so, but it certainly won't be 40 years

until we visit there again. In fact, we are already planning to take our grandson

and daughter as soon as it is safe with the pandemic to ride in the car together.

Red wing black bird's greeted us when we arrived.
We were told we must stay in our car and drive slowly with stops along the way.
In fact, we could tell when there was something special to see because
there would be several cars ahead of us stopping and looking.
Canada goose, I am sure there must have been at least a thousand of them.
Muskrat, well I liked seeing 4 or 5 of them, but I am guessing they
are in the rodent family; so they were not my favorite.
American Coot, plenty of these cute birds too.
Great Blue Heron with several sightings along the way.
Deer, on one of the stops. There were about 6 of them out in a meadow.
Canada geese, yes, more geese!!
Tundra Swans, I had never seen so many swans in my life.
This was only a few of them.
All those white birds in the background were swans too.
Great Egret, just strolling along.
Bald Eagle in flight, there were two of them, but couldn't see them closely.
Water fowl, coots   Ducks in a row!

Great Blue Heron, he was quite close.

After Reading Lucretius, I Go to the Pond

The slippery green frog

that went to his death

in the heron's pink throat

was my small brother,

and the heron

with the white plumes

like a crown on his head

who is washing now his great sword-beak

in the shining pond

is my tall thin brother.

My heart dresses in black 

and dances.

~Mary Oliver, Blue Horses Poems

It truly felt like a vacation for a couple hours

and we loved every moment of the adventure.

Have you taken an adventure during this pandemic time?

Not always easy to do, but soooooo worth it. 

This weekend we will be stuck at home,

but the sight outside our window is snowy white and all quite beautiful.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

9 comments:

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Hello Marilyn - I imagine we may have to take that same day trip as well...looks like lots to see. In the meantime I am enjoying this sudden snowstorm we are having Take care.♥

Linda P said...

You saw some interesting water birds on your trip out. Our days are spent at home. We have to stay in our neighbourhood as it's illegal to travel further than that and we can only go out for essential reasons such as exercise, medical appointments and food shopping. Fines are hefty if you get stopped by the police and you are not within the limits of your own neighbourhood. I shall be glad to get out for a short walk around our home area once the snow has completely melted. I dream of better days ahead when the restrictions are eased. Take care Marilyn.

Jeanie said...

This DOES feel like a vacation and I have to admit I'm a little envious, seeing all these glorious creatures -- with no snow or ice! Lovely photos, every one, Marilyn. It looks like a fabulous spot and I'm glad you plan to return. (I know what you mean about finding someplace so close to home that you've never been.) I think I need a "vacation" like that.

susan hemann said...

How wonderful! love the pictures
About 5 minutes from my home is a bird sanctuary, I have seen eagles nesting, egrets, herons, ducks, and all different kinds of wildlife
nature grounds me

Rosemary said...

What a fabulous adventure to an amazing refuge. So glad you discovered this little treasure in your backyard. Looking forward to more photos when your grandson enjoys the experience! Must you always stay in the vehicle to drive through only, or is this a pandemic related rule?

Tracy said...

This is just... magnificent... *sigh*... ((HUGS))

Lorrie said...

Hello Marilyn,
What a varied selection of wildlife you observed at the park. Such a great outing.

Mary said...

That was an awesome place to view so much incredible wildlife - especially Tundra swans which are beautiful.
I think D will love it there.
Mary -

Laura Morrigan said...

So many fabulous animals!