Friday, June 11, 2021

To See Takes Time

 "Nobody sees a flower, really

it is so small

we haven't time,

and to see takes time,

like to have a friend

takes time."

~Georgia O'Keefe

The quote by Georgia O'Keefe has been a favorite of mine for a long time. This morning as I continued reading Wintering by Katherine May I came across this very simple sentence and was once again reminded of this quote. The quote from the book, "Just waiting for me to learn how to see it."  It seems like I keep focusing on noticing and seeing. For sure, it keeps jumping in front of my thoughts and words, maybe it is the book that is reminding me to notice and see.

Sort of a silly pictures. Yesterday I visited this museum with my grandson and as we entered I snapped this picture. The sun was shining on my screen, so I couldn't really see clearly what I had snapped. When I downloaded the pictures I just had to smile because it looks like the dinosaur is about to invade the museum. I loved noticing this creature sitting out in front of the museum just waiting for us, daring us to enter. Oh what fun we had seeing the dinosaurs inside. After the two of us enjoyed the museum we went for a walk along the river and found some boulders to sit on while we nibbled our snack. What I loved seeing were the clouds above the city, wildflowers along the river, and a great view of downtown Portland. I loved that the two of us enjoyed noticing together.


How do we take the seeing and noticing to the next step? Do we just acknowledge it and go on? Do we ruminate or savor it? Or do we find we need to take action? 

I am fascinated by these thoughts.

I want to be more open to noticing/seeing, receiving more, and releasing to the universe more love.

Take time to see with our hearts.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

What a fun day you had at the museum with your grandson, Marilyn. The Dinosaur pictures are exciting, and I've always been fascinated with the Dinosaurs. A walk along the river after sounds wonderful, and sitting for awhile and having a snack together sounds even better. Thank you for the gentle reminder to take time to see with our hearts, Marilyn. I've been trying to do that since I moved to the mountains. Have a peaceful weekend.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

"to see takes time...to have a friend takes time" resonates with me today Marilyn. Being with a companion on an occasion where you can slow down, share in the noticing of small details that touch the heart is special. Your visit to the museum, a walk and lunch by the river with your grandson must have been a joy.

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like such fun, enjoying your visit with your grandchild and appreciating the surroundings. I like to savour the moments so that I can recall them later.

Jeanie said...

What a thoughtful post, Marilyn. I know what you mean about taking photos and not really seeing what you are getting at the time because of the reflections on the screen. Sometimes it's pretty interesting!