Friday, May 27, 2022

Tea with my Niece

It was a long time passed due, but finally this week I had tea with my niece. I didn't really know Michele when she was little. Her mom was my half sister, but we didn't meet until Michele was in high school. DeeDee, Michele's mom and my sister, passed away in November 2020 of pancreatic cancer. Because we were in a pandemic there wasn't a memorial service and I hadn't been able to see Michele. My only connection with Michele was with an occasional text. Since she is a busy mom I didn't always hear back from her. I kept telling her we needed to meet near her house at Deepwood Estate for a hug and a cup of tea. Yes, keep pursuing these things that are important.


Finally this past Monday we were able to meet, share some hugs and some tears.


I had worried about her. Good news, she is doing great, which touched my heart and so good to hear, touch, and see.


We walked in the garden.


But mostly we sat right here under a big tree sharing stories, tears and tea.

I made chicken curry sandwiches, goat cheese and fig jam sandwiches, and little cakes with cherry jam. To that I added some macarons from Costco and made a nice oolong tea.

Someone walking by asked if we would like our picture taken. I am so glad she did that. Funny thing, but I never thought I looked like that side of the family and it was a shock when I shared this picture on Facebook and people started saying we looked like family. It seems at whatever age we are, we still learn new things about ourselves.



 Have you found the pandemic caused you to delay an important gathering? I hope you find solace in finally meeting with someone or someone(s) special for a hug and maybe even a tear. This one was so good for me. I think it was good for Michele too, as she wants to get together again. 

Happy weekend, dear friends!

7 comments:

Debby said...

You have a beautiful property.

I lost my only niece in 2020 - she was 28 years old. I miss having a niece since I have 2 sons - she was more like a daughter.

It does seem people are getting out more - a lot of family reunions, and get-togethers.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a special tea time with your niece, Marilyn. You know, she looks a lot like you! The chicken sandwiches, goat cheese, fig jam sandwiches, and macarons sound scrumptious. And Oolong tea is one of my favorites. So glad you were able to get together, and the gardens are a perfect place for a visit that was long overdue. : )

~Sheri

Mary said...

Such a beautiful place to share afternoon tea - which by the way sounded delicious. So glad you were able to get together at long last, she does resemble you Marilyn and you both look so happy together.

My trip home to Torquay is mainly to catch up with family whom I've not seen in over 3 years - longest gap ever in my almost 60 years in the US! My cousins, their spouses, their children and even one grandchild, luckily all live close by so I will see them all - and my dear brother (only sibling) will fly over from France to join us for a few days.
I'm looking forward to many Devon Cream Teas in June!!!!

Time Traveling in Costume said...

What a lovely and special way to get in touch with each other. It was the perfect spot, and all the things you added to it made it all the more memorable.
Hugs, Val

Lorrie said...

Your afternoon tea looks beautiful and sounds delicious. I'm so glad you were able to meet with your niece. In person get togethers just cannot be replicated with technology. You and your niece do look alike. I'm glad it was a happy occasion.

Rosemary said...

The beautiful photos capture the essence of this special tea time. A time of remembering. A time of love. A time of tranquility.

Laura Morrigan said...

IT is wonderful you were able to reconnect! I missed seeing dear friends during the worst of the pandemic but have caught up with many of them since things improved!