Wednesday, July 13, 2022

A Summer Adventure

 Now isn't this the way to start a summer adventure?

It was all about spending time with grandson, D, and his mom, Jill.

So we started with a bang and a raft trip on the Deschutes River near Bend, Oregon.

Yes, that is me in that raft, along with my "live-in gardener", daughter, and grandson. Oh yes, there was a river guide behind us probably doing most of the work. My grandson had no idea what we were about to do and in the end he loved it and loved our guide so much he wants to go back for more.

Now something most people don't know about me is that I have always been a bit of a thrill seeker. I used to dream of driving race cars. Some ask, would I do this raft trip again and of course I would. It is scary and exhilarating all at the same time. 

Now isn't that the way to start a small summer adventure?

 “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all – the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar

 “The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey

Well after that we needed a quiet walk; so ventured to Petersen Rock Garden. It was very "kitchy" and my daughter particularly loves "kitch". We all enjoyed it. D loved all the cats and peacock strolling around the gardens.

Here is my D on the rock bridge leading to a little island with a rock castle.



I thought it would be fun to have tea in this little rock cove, but no tea was with me at the time.
 
We were in the high desert about 3 hour drive from Portland. In the early evening we took a picnic to Smith Rock State Park, which is a well known rock climbing location. While there I slipped on loose gravel and fell and broke my left thumb. Ugh! It could have been worse. I think it hurt more that I also broke my phone in my back pocket. Now I am trying to adjust to a new phone.

On the second day we headed to the High Desert Museum where we could watch the antics of the river otter at play.



Just a few glimpses from the museum.
And yes, we had the granddog along on this adventure.
She was quite well behaved.
In the afternoon of our second day Jill and D went swimming
and the grandparents walked the dog.

It was fun to peek through the fence and see this amazing swimming adventure. What you see here is a float pool. There were other pools for other events including a huge slide. Jill and D definitely enjoyed cooling off here.
“If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.” – Seth Godin
 
The final day was driving home through the high desert and over Mt. Hood.
Oregon is a beautiful state with so much diversity to see.
Just this little adventure told me I really must get out more and see the world right in my own back door. 

This little summer adventure was most precious by just getting to spend time with precious family.



4 comments:

Mary said...

The entire adventure looked wonderful Marilyn - so glad you were able to get away and enjoy thrills, scenic views, and being together in some new to you places. Sometimes there is unexpected beauty right outside our back door!!!!
Enjoy the remaining weeks of summer.
Mary x

Jeanie said...

Marilyn, this is totally fabulous! I'm so glad you had that opportunity to be with D and Jill and it looks such fun. I"m not terribly adventurous but I have to admit, I would love the adventure of a raft trip, which I've never done. That looks such fun -- I'm glad someone was taking a photo of you all! It's a beautiful area with so much to discover -- but the best discovery of all was that joy that comes from being together.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, look at you in the raft! A photo that should be framed. Fun adventures with the family, how wonderful, Marilyn. Love the photo of your grandson with the horse. That's a sweet one.

~Sheri

Laura Morrigan said...

Wow! That rafting looks terrifying! Not for me! The kitschy garden is more my style! I hope your thumb is healing well!