Friday, September 23, 2022

The Color of Autumn

 With the anticipation of Autumn in the air, I have been looking for signs. The color ORANGE just speaks to me of the season at hand. I never really paid attention to orange, but this year I am looking for it. Sometimes it is just a small touch and other times a splash that says "notice me!". As I write this I am wearing my orange tee shirt. It really is a happy color.

 With the visit not long ago to the dahlia farm I found touches of orange in both huge and tiny pumpkins. They just made me smile. I had gone for flowers, which you know I enjoyed, but also found orange.

And then with a visit to the farmers market in search of my favorite Gravenstein apples, I also found orange and cheerful color.

Autumn Fires

Robert Louis Stevenson

In the other gardens
   And all up in the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
   See the smoke trail!

Pleasant summer over, 
   And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
   The grey smoke towers.

Sing a song of seasons!
   Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
   Fires in the fall!

And then just a few days ago my "live-in gardener" and I took a walk at Lan Su Chinese Gardens and again there was that color. The pomegranates and lanterns just spoke of Autumn.
Aren't the lanterns pretty? I loved seeing them. In fact I think they encouraged me to look more for orange everywhere I went.

This old grain mill is a short drive north of Portland into Washington State, but it just speaks to me of Autumn in all it's glory.
Then today I walked through an antique mall and again there was a touch of orange. I had never seen a teapot with an orange rose. I think it is sort of 1930's or 1940's retro and quite happy with color. No, it didn't come home with me; but I love taking my camera to the antique mall just to bring home pictures to share with you.
And finally right in my own yard there is a new dahlia blooming. It was an addition to the garden this year and it makes me so happy to see it begin to bloom. This bloom is called Iced Tea. Can you guess why I had to add it to our garden collection? Just the name tugged at my heart. I think it is beautiful!

So may I wish you a happy Autumn!
Go out and notice what brings a smile to your face.
Happy weekend, dear friends!

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

Orange is a fabulous color and you found so many perfect examples. I happen to be especially fond of those fabulous orange lanterns and the peaches, along with that vignette in the antique mall, but they all are lovely. Happy weekend, Marilyn!

Laura said...

look at those pumpkins! and that teapot would definitely have come home with me. i've never seen one like that and i LOVE it!

enjoy autumn!

love & magicks
~*~

Linda P said...

Choosing a colour and noticing it when out and about or even in your home is a fun thing to do. Certainly nature is providing us with shades of orange now that the season of Autumn is here. It's a little early for pumpkins over here, but no doubt we'll be seeing them soon on market stalls. Those peaches look wonderful.

Joy B said...

Orange is not a color I particularly like - except in the fall! It just seems right in October and I enjoyed seeing all your photos of orange things as October is right around the corner.

Laura Morrigan said...

I loved seeing all these pops of orange with you!