Monday, June 5, 2023

Word Magic

The word this week is VOICE. 


The definition is:

    the sound produced in a person's larynx and uttered through the mouth, as speech or song.
    "his voice is hoarse"  Or a particular opinion or attitude expressed.
     
    Finding the right pictures to share voice wasn't easy.
    This first picture was taken this morning as I walked alone at a rose garden near my house. I had invited a friend to join me and had the backpack ready to go with tea and some special nibbles. I was looking forward to catching up, to using our voices in laughter. As I headed for the door the phone rang and because she wasn't feeling well, she canceled. I sat for awhile and realized that shouldn't deter me from an adventure to the planned rose garden. My voice was silent, but my camera enjoyed coming out to play.

     
    This picture represents tea with another. Often my tea times are in silence, a time to meditate and pray.

 Can a voice be silent too? Maybe a body attitude/gesture or something written?

How do you best communicate what is on your heart, in your head?

 "Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes." Maggie Smith

I felt like this woman was sending a message by what she was wearing. She didn't need to say a word, but I knew she loved tea.

On a recent interview on CBS Sunday Morning, Isabelle Allende spoke of finding her voice when she wrote. That as a young woman she only saw books written by men and it took her years to realize that as a woman she could have a voice too. 

There have been times in my life where I have attempted to speak and had a man raise his hand in a stop motion to tell me I could not speak and he didn't want to hear what I had to say. It took me a long time to realize that I had the same right to speak as anyone around me. I still struggle with that at times. 

Voice is a powerful word and one we should all remember.

Yes, as a woman, we must speak and be heard.

Women can make a difference with their voice. 

Have a terrific week, dear friends!

3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

"Voice" is a special word, Marilyn. I have never been afraid to speak up, just the opposite actually, which got me in trouble now and again haha. But, I guess as the youngest child, I learned to speak up at a very young age. It got me through high school and the adult years. And to this day, I still speak up for those who are suffering, in pain, or mistreated. But would you believe as I age, I don't care to speak boldly any more? Sometimes the greatest strength is when we are silent and still, and listen and learn. : )

A very special post, Marilyn. I appreciate your words on here today.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

What a thoughtful post, Marilyn. And spot on. I think often people think we have found our voice -- but we haven't. I still have trouble communicating certain things and feelings (not admirable for a professional communicator.) You give us much to think about.

Rosemary said...

It can be difficult to express ourselves - and sometimes it is easier to be silent, but we must continue to use our voice to continue to achieve greater heights, equality for all, and yes, even justice.