Monday, January 22, 2024

Words of Kindness and Joy

 


"Kindness has the same meaning in any language and in any land."  

Essay, She'll Never Know by Roger Burlington in book, Short Stories as you like them, edited by William R. Wood and John D. Husband - 1940

 

This Short Stories book has been on my book shelf my whole adult life, but recently I realized I had never read it. So this past week I picked it up to read a few essays. The essays were very dated and nothing particularly enticing; but still I had to read awhile. Will I finish reading this book? Probably not! Will I pass this book along, probably not for awhile. This particular book has sentimental meaning to me.

When I was a senior at Willow Glen High School I took English literature. Now this book was compiled and printed in the US. But what I treasured was that my English teacher gave me this book. I was very quiet in all my classes and in this one I remember sitting in the back row with a most boisterous boy; so I was even more quiet. But there was something about this teacher, Miss Wood. She noticed me and would encourage me to read. She even would make sure to ask my opinion of the assigned reading in each class gathering. She was kind to me. So at the end of the year she signed the book and I have treasured having it on my book shelf ever since.

 

The book must have come from the school library, but she noticed me and gave it to me.

 When I came across the above quote I just thought "of course" kindness would be the same in every language and land.

Yesterday my church was honored with lunch of food from Afghanistan. We had sponsored a family from there two years ago and they wanted to say thank you for all we did for them and celebrate getting permanent visas to stay here. It was the kindness of those in our church that they honored with Afghan food. What a treat!

So again this week I am reminded in many small ways that kindness matters.

Sending love,

Marilyn

4 comments:

Mary said...

What a sweet story of your school days dear. You must hold on to the book - perhaps print out your blog post and tuck inside for those who will read it in years to come! I love opening an old book and finding something inside even if only a bookmark.

Happy Birthday to dear J from us both - hope he's being spoiled today!
Mary & Bob xx

Jeanie said...

That's lovely that your teacher gave you that book -- and I'm glad you have rediscovered it. That was kind indeed.

I love that the Afghan people made your church a traditional dinner. That is gracious and I'll bet it was delicious, too!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

How kind of that family to bless you all and say thank you in such a special way. Kindness indeed comes in many forms and languages...and sometimes through food. :)

Lorrie said...

A lovely story of the history of that vintage book, and of the Afghan family who wanted to return the many kindnesses you and your church showed to them. Kindness begets kindness.