Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Art of Poetry

 
With my love of words I ventured out just yesterday to a poetry reading.
The poet loves nature and all it's beauty, but I took notice
of a small book about China.
A few excerpts by Tom Crawford, http://www.tomcrawfordpoetry.com/poems/

"From the wooden stool I watch him 
pound down the dough
then roll it out, sprinkle in chives,
Sichuan peppers, fold it over,
roll it out again.
Now he takes a black kettle from the stove
and offers me green tea.  Together
we sip from our cups and share
a hot shao bin he's torn in half."

Han
"We have come here to be stalled
by our own green hearts, waylayed
by what's past, the way in crosshatched
and slow as the oldest painting,
the black buffalo small against the mountain
still pulls the whole country along
on a single plow
one hoof at a time.

As a young girl I thought all poetry had to rhyme.
Fascinated recently by poetry, I have come to appreciate many styles.
 I find writing and poetry are another form of art.

7 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I certainly agree with you about seeing writing and poetry as a form of art! When I went through "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron years ago, I really began to think of my writing in "artist" terms for the first time!

Lorrie said...

Beautiful bits of words strung together by a master poet. There are so many art forms!

Shane Pollard said...

Dear Marilyn
It's a beautiful poem - thank you.
I've always been a lover of words too - inherited from my father.
He was a great reader and gave me the love of books.
Have a happy weekend
hugs
Shane

Jeanne said...

Beautiful indeed and I love that teapot. Love and hugs
Jeanne

Mary said...

This is lovely dear - and your poems are always just as beautiful.
I hope for more time in the future to sit and read poems in the late afternoon light with a cup of special tea. Somehow I've been missing such times of quietude these past few years with so much travel.


Thanks for all your sweet comments - you are a true friend and I'm so happy we met up this Summer - it was special.

Mary X

Linda P said...

I like the rhythm of this poem as well as the profound words.

La Tea Dah said...

I love the poem. It creates such word pictures in my mind. And your picture --- is enticing! I'm enjoying your photography so much!