Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Apples - On the Road


Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.
~WB Yeats.

In a way this poem seems lonely.
It touches on my heart at this time of isolation.
I walk each day alone.
I see apples growing.
I see flowers blooming.
I see people, yet we turn to avoid each other.
The eyes are diverted, yet I know that they are there.
I find secret passages,
And my heart is alone in their discoveries.
I smell the roses along the way.
I search for that elusive 4 leaf clover in the grass.
I pluck the small daisy growing wildly here and there.
Dreaming dreams is part of the agenda.
I travel in my mind.
The light shines and I sing.

How are you doing, dear friends?
Are you lonely?

8 comments:

Laurie said...

I felt the same way reading the poem Marilyn. I know what you are speaking of. Coping with the way things are right now at times seems to make me weary. Spending time in nature brings me peace though, connected to the universe God has created. Painting, reading, and meditation on the word keep me grounded and at this time, sane.

Autumn said...

I found you by Living Better One Day At A Time blog and glad I did. Hope your week gets better.

Jeanie said...

I'm not lonely. I see people on my walks and we smile and say hello, even if from afar. Rick is close. I'm not bored. If I get bored, then I might get lonely.

Linda P said...

If you read the whole poem you get a sense of a journey towards the light. Yeats paints beautiful word pictures. I'm not lonely. Jesus is with me. I can talk to him in prayer. I'm blessed because I have a companion in my husband. It's a privilege to be able to talk to you via the internet. Bless you Marilyn.

mamasmercantile said...

I am thankful that I have my dear husband and of course God whom I talk to a lot. So no I never feel lonely.

Red Rose Alley said...

I love when you talk of the apples around your neck of the woods, Marilyn. It always reminds me of my favorite season, Autumn. Is this charming house yours? I am just living day by day in this strange time we are in. The move was hard and now in unfamiliar surroundings, so I have to teach myself once again. Some days are harder than others, but when I think of the blessings, my day gets better. : )

~Sheri

Mary said...

I'm not really lonely for company as I always manage well when I have time alone. Of course glad to have Bob and some great neighbors, but miss seeing family and friends who live a distance. Hope soon to be able to have small gatherings without masks (so hot here and wearing a mask is really miserable).

Hugs - Mary

Angela McRae said...

I am not lonely, but I do miss being able to give hugs or mask-less smiles to others like the neighbor I pass on my afternoon walks. Hopefully things are looking up, though!