Monday, June 1, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Hope

From wikipedia: Hope is an optimistic state of mind that is based on an expectation of positive outcomes with respect to events and circumstances in one's life or the world at large.[1] As a verb, its definitions include: "expect with confidence" and "to cherish a desire with anticipation."

After my post recently about how stress during the pandemic hit me my friend,
Jeanie, The Marmalade Gyspy, recommended a book by Anne Lamott
called Almost Everything, Notes on Hope.
Saturday I started reading it and the line that has stuck with me is
"Love is why we have hope."
Then sitting at home yesterday morning and participating in zoom church
the message was on hope.
So I just felt in this time of unrest, anger, sadness, and fear,
we needed to focus on hope today.
One of the scriptures from the bible yesterday was:
Romans 12:12  Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.

Emily Dickinson once said,
"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul -
and sings the tunes without the words -
and never stops at all."

Spring flowers always give me hope.
Seeing them shine through the snow and rain
just makes my heart lift in joy and hope for a new season.

9 comments:

Lorrie said...

I do love the word hope, and all that it entails. The quote by Emily Dickinson is one of my favourites, and I think of it when I see a feather lying on the ground. Then I remember, ah, hope.

Red Rose Alley said...

HOPE is a beautiful word, Marilyn, and one of my favorite words. It is a good word for all that is happening in our world today. I really like the Emily Dickinson quote. It's true, HOPE never stops at all. It is always there. Thank you for reminding me of that. : )

I hope you have many good June days ahead, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Laurie said...

Amen Marilyn, hope is an excellent word for what we are facing right now. Hope and faith that God is with us.

Tracy said...

"Love is why we have hope." ... WOW...that's pretty powerful stuff, that says so much right there! And I've always appreciated those lines from Romans. We must dwell in hope, in possibility... It's such an awful time in our human history. And what's going on back home in America is making my heart hurt so much--it's just so sad. But I think hope resides in all corners of the heart.... we just need reminders! :) THANK YOU, Marilyn for this reminder! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Linda P said...

That was a good message given during zoom church and a good scripture Romans 12.12 to focus on. The flower photos are beautiful. I'm wondering whether the first one is of pink jasmine? Hellebores are also lovely and wonderful Spring flowers.

Angela McRae said...

Yes, hope is definitely what I hang my hat on these days! Such a grievous time … thanks for sharing your heart, the lovely photos, and the name of an Anne LaMott book I have somehow missed. (I love her!)

Jeanie said...

She has some wonderful thoughts in that book, doesn't she? This is truly a good one. I love her writing but this one really hit. I hope you found many good thoughts there too.

Rosemary said...

Never lose hope! It offers a powerful, positive message... and we need much hope!

Mary said...

I've always loved that Emily Dickinson quotation. How special our birds are - my overgrown back garden is a welcoming home to many, and all are welcome.
Sitting out here right now - in the gazebo - have found a new (rather late) cardinal nest in a shrub. She has woven a large piece of plastic into the twigs - nest building always amazes me!