Friday, November 27, 2020

Autumn Silence

 

What does Autumn or Fall speak to you?

For me it is pumpkin and pecan pie. Apples too!

Drives in the country and finding an old barn and bare trees.
Collecting the last wind fall of nature in the garden.
Just enjoying the pumpkins and colorful leaves in the garden too.

To me it seems like autumn is when the earth quiets its heart and prepares for winter.
Mary Oliver's poem, Such Silence, speaks to me at this time.

As deep as I ever went into the forest
I came upon an old stone bench, very, very old,
and around it a clearing, and beyond that
trees taller and older than I had ever seen.

Such silence!
It really wasn't so far from a town, but it seemed
all the clocks in the world had stopped counting.
So it was hard the suppose the rules applied.

Sometimes there's only a hint, a possibility.
What's magical, sometimes. has deeper roots
than reason.
I hope everyone knows that.

I sat on the bench, waiting for something.
An angels, perhaps.
Or dancers with the legs of goats.
 
No, I didn't see either. But only, I think, because
I didn't stay long enough. 
 
Do we pause during this time of Autumn/Fall
and let the earth and ourselves sit for awhile
in silence, waiting for angels to stop by?
 
Have a very special weekend, dear friends!

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I really liked that poem, Marilyn. It spoke to me too. Yes, Autumn reminds me of all the things you mentioned. There's something about your photos that always get to me. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. It's Christmastime!

~Sheri

Mary said...

Love your photos Marilyn - very moody and autumnal.
Great poem too.
I took Bob to tea outside this afternoon! Watched the sunset sipping hot Empress Grey tea beside the art museum.
Mary x

Linda P said...

The poem is interesting and your photos are very atmospheric and certainly illustrate the last days of Autumn. I was interested in the reference to a bench. I meant to comment on your last blog post about comfy chairs. They're welcome additions to a home and I began to reflect on seating arrangements. I thought of the photos I've taken of benches when out for a walk. It's always good to sit for a while on those outdoor seats and enjoy the surrounding natural world. Your blog post is a nice follow on from those thoughts I had that day.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What a wonderful poem!

And your pies look amazing - my two very favorites.

Well ok I love peanut butter pie a lot too but nearly never eat them.

Your pics are so moody and beautiful.