Friday, June 24, 2022

Prayer


  As a young girl I grew up in a church that prayed. When someone would get up to pray it was always all these "flowery" words of adoration and begging. I just didn't feel comfortable with that. I told myself I could never speak with words like I heard there; so I sort of rejected prayer and the religion stuff I grew up with. What I never rejected was that there was a God with me and I could just talk with my eyes wide opened to this "being". I didn't have to be how others thought I needed to be.

In my conversations I found the best time for me to talk to God was during my morning drives to work. For some reason those conversations always started with a song, which sometimes you could find me singing out loud in the car. It became my time of meditation and prayer. Amazing I could do that and drive to work, but it worked for me.

The song I would sing has the following words:

Lyrics
With my hand lifted up
And my mouth filled with praise
With a heart of thanksgiving
I will bless Thee O Lord
I will bless Thee O Lord
I will bless Thee O Lord
With a heart of thanksgiving
I will bless Thee O Lord
With my hand lifted up
And my mouth filled with praise
With a heart of thanksgiving
I will bless Thee O Lord
I will bless Thee O Lord
I will bless Thee O Lord
With a heart of thanksgiving
I will bless Thee O Lord
Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Esther Watanabe

Now Lord indicates gender, but for me it isn't about gender. Lord is God in my heart. The one I can talk to when something is sitting on my heart both in sadness and in joy.

Once I quiet my heart with a song I can just speak plainly what is sitting there to share. Now that I am retired I find that suddenly this song will come to my heart as I sip my morning tea. I don't need to call it up, it is just there. It almost surprises me. I know it is time for a conversation or a few words from my heart. It is time to share with God.

I did find another church that sits well with my heart.

I hope you don't mind that I speak of prayer this morning, but this is a part of me. I think by sharing we can all know we need to follow our hearts and speak our words whether it is to God, a spiritual being, or to another soul. It lifts us up and heals our heart.

I wrote this yesterday, but the picture is my broken hands praying this morning for our broken country. There is great sadness in our world, may it be healed.

May love prevail!

Take care, dear friends!

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

A most beautiful post, Marilyn. I used to sing on my way to work each morning - the Doxology, and other hymns. Walking is a good time for me to pray for people who come to mind, and for our country and the world. There is so much brokenness and need for healing. Bless you.

Deanna said...

Marilyn, Bless you. To God be the glory, great thing He hath done. Amen,
d

Jeanie said...

This is beautiful, Marilyn. And our broken country needs all the prayers it can get.

Linda P said...

Your thoughts about prayer come straight from the heart Marilyn. Bless you.

Red Rose Alley said...

I think this is the nicest photo, Marilyn, because you have your hands held in prayer. And prayer is very important and special for us to do. And while you are being still in silence, please say one for your blog friend, Sheri, and her family. Thank you, dear one.