Friday, June 14, 2024

A Lily speaks to Me

"Lilies have various symbolic meanings. They are often associated with purity, renewal, and transience. In Christianity, the Madonna Lily represents the Virgin Mary's purity. The lily is the national flower of Italy and is featured on the country's emblem. It symbolizes unity and peace."

"On the one hand, calla lily meaning expresses the idea of life and fertility, while on the other it's a well-known symbol of death. One early calla lily meaning originates in ancient Greek culture, where the flower was thought to represent magnificent beauty. This origin stems from a tale regarding Hercules as a baby."

I find the meaning of flowers to be quite fascinating and fun to notice, but sometimes they create different meanings for us personally.

The calla lily reminds me of my mother and growing up in California. As a young girl, my mother often grew them in our garden. They are easy to grow and don't take a lot of attention. I don't ever remember her bringing flowers into the house, but maybe I just didn't notice. But in the garden there were always calla lilies. My sister has them in her garden too. On a visit to my sister's garden some years ago, she gave me a box of them that she had dug up. I brought them back home, ants and all, and planted them in my garden. They have grown in my garden ever since then. They get a bit confused every winter and start to come up in February, then we have a freeze and down to the ground they go. Spring comes along and here they come again. They are blooming in my garden now.

Soon I will dig some of them up and plant them in my daughter's garden.

 

The last time I visited my home town in California I visited Luther Burbank's garden. There were pink lilies that he had developed. He did a lot of experimenting and hybridizing of lilies. It was fun to actually see the descendants of the lilies he developed.
 

 Lilies speak to me of peace.

May you have days of peace and joy!

Sending love,

Marilyn

2 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I remember the Calla lily as a kid. They used to grow everywhere. They seem to be sturdy flowers. Yours are growing nicely in your garden. The pink lilies you saw at the gardens are so pretty. Have never been to Luther Burbank's garden. Sounds lovely.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

These are beautiful, Marilyn. I always think of the line in "Glass Menagerie" -- "The calla lilies are in bloom this year."