Thursday, June 6, 2024

Walking

 Do you like walking?  I love going for walks, but lately because of health concerns I became afraid to go walking by myself. Really, it was my own paranoia, but to me it was real. So I am trying to walk again. Recently I walked with a friend at a labyrinth tucked in the woods.

 

Our conversation before beginning our walk was about ancestors.  With that conversation on my mind, as I walked I envisioned my ancestors surrounding me. The smaller tree in the curve of the walk as we approached represented my grandson, so strong, yet still growing. One day he will be as tall as his surroundings and stretch his arms out wide to embrace life.


The large tree behind the wall represented my grandfather. He stood silently nearby, always watching and I believe he is still watching and smiling with a tear in his eye, saying "well done"! 

There was a butterfly that passed by, which to me represented my mother and the women in the family of ancestors. They were always flitting here and there, full of color and delight, always present and beautiful. 

Now I must go walking. I must notice what I notice.

Have a great weekend, dear friends!

Sending love, Marilyn

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love this, Marilyn. Yes, I know what you mean about solo walking. I'm fine at the ditch in the day but as it gets closer to twilight, not to much. The same at the lake on my familiar ground. But to venture into new territory alone is a bit daunting. I love that you were walking with your ancestors. I have a somewhat similar feeling when I walk at the lake -- I feel the energy of my mom and her sisters when they were younger and it's a good feeling.

Red Rose Alley said...

I like how you compared the different things with your family, Marilyn, especially the butterfly. Yes, I do love walking, but I don't like to walk alone either. Sometimes when we go shopping, there is a lot of walking involved, and I don't mind that at all. I get to bring home some goodies. ; ) The labyrinth tucked in the woods you visited is so green and beautiful.

Have a good week ahead, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

I can only take short local walks these days. My husband also finds walking difficult. He is happy to drive to picturesque places locally so I try to walk as much as possible. Exercise in the fresh air is a good activity. Where you took a walk looks a peaceful place with lots of greenery. I think it was a good idea to imagine that you were accompanied by members of your family and even your ancestors.