Monday, September 2, 2024

Words of Kindness and Joy

 Last night, after four hours of sleep, I woke up. I do this at least two or three times a week. It is frustrating, but I have come to accept it for now. Usually I scroll social media in the middle of the night for awhile before going back to bed. Last night, when I was scrolling, I saw that one of my friends indoor cats escaped and she couldn't find him. Oh, I hope he comes home. Say a little prayer for little black Lewis.


Thinking of Lewis reminded me of a time a few years ago when my Joey walked out of an open door. He was an indoor cat too, plus a big scaredy-cat. I walked all over our yard calling his name. I looked everywhere (I thought). I even walked around the neighborhood calling for him. He was nowhere to be found. I was so sad and angry at the person that left the door open. Sitting on my back steps I was mourning. As I sat there I heard a little bird chirping in distress. I had never heard that sound before, so I followed the sound. When I got near the bird in the bush I looked down under the branches and there was my Joey. He was so terrified, he was afraid to move. I scooped him up with hugs and kisses and he returned to the safety of the indoors. 

In winter Joey loved napping under blankets or pillows. I think he felt safe and warm there.




I can't tell you what that little bird looked like, but the two above were in my file of bird ideas for painting. The top one was on wallpaper in a bathroom I visited this summer. The lower bird I found online.

Now you might say "what does that have to do with kindness and joy"?  It was the kindness of that little bird and the joy in the rescue for both Joey and myself. Notice what you notice, for if I hadn't noticed the birds song I wouldn't have found Joey.

Sending love,

Marilyn

3 comments:

Linda P said...

This was a lovely blog post Marilyn. The recollection of your search for your pet and the reason Joey was found because of the bird is an endearing and joyful experience that I'm sure you'll never forget.

Jeanie said...

Oh, that photo. That's wonderful in every possible way. I miss Joey too -- and I never even met him. It's terrifying when the cat gets out. I know every single one of the emotions you experienced. And yes, the birds led you there.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Marilyn, I loved your story about Joey. And I do think that bird was there singing his song just for you. The picture you took of your cat all snuggled under the pillow is perfect for the story today.

This reminded me of the time me and Mia took a walk in the neighborhood. We saw a cat just hanging around, and Mia yelled, "Luca!" I didn't want her to touch it in case it wasn't their cat, Luca, cause I wasn't sure. But their cat roams outside all the time and comes home, so it was in fact, Luca. ; )