Friday, December 8, 2017

Spinning - Colors of Love

 When I first moved to Oregon in 1975 I needed to find
a place for my creative spirit to soar.
This little historic school house in Damascus, Oregon
pulled at my heart strings.
I would pick up my spinning wheel once a week and
venture out to the country to sit by the wood stove on
a large round braided rug to spin the day away.
I loved it out there, but then life takes different twists
and turns; soon my children were old enough for me
to return to school and find a career.
 The spinning wheel became a decorative piece in the living room.
It sat idle for 40 years while I raised my two children,
got a degree in apparel design, and worked.
 Now with retirement and other life goals accomplished
I am returning to that creative spirit.
This spinning wheel was made just for me by a metal patternmaker
in Kansas many years ago.
It was made from aged cherry wood and I love it.
Though I just spun with no plan for the yarn, I just love the colors
all gathered together in this yarn.
I find my spinning wheel needs some tender loving care and repair,
but I can't believe I am spinning again.
Do you have something you had to give up
and your hearts desire is to resume?
Notice what you notice in your hearts desires.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a fun craft to begin again! Never knew you were into spinning!

Red Rose Alley said...

What wonderful memories of your spinning wheel, Marilyn. And how charming that it became a piece in your living room for years. I used to take a pottery class, and I often think about taking one again. I made a few Christmas plates and ceramic bowls back in the day, and I still have the Christmas plate today. : )

~Sheri

Tracy said...

What a sweet school house!! And how wonderful all the spinning!! This is sooo exciting, Marilyn! Your wheel is BEAUTIFUL...cherry wood... *swoon*... And your yarn is gorgeous!! Can't wait to see where these new adventures take you!! I think fiber must been in your blood a little--what with previous spinning experience, and then going into apparel--clothing = fiber. ;) I've been playing with yarn for a long time in knitting and crochet. I've always wanted to dye and spin my own yarn--both on my "someday" list! :))) I've been focusing more on crochet in recent years, having cracked that code. Lately I gifted several skeins of a lavender-blue yarn that seem to want to be something large, like a sweater maybe... so I'm considering taking up sticks again and knitting! Happy Spinning!! ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

I tried spinning once and had no aptitude for it but I certainly do appreciate it all. What a gorgeous wheel and I'm so impressed with your yarn. I don't know where you find the time but it's such a worthwhile art/craft and hobby!