Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Tea Outdoors and a Recipe

In the canister is Wild Lapsang from Wuyi Origin.
A really yummy tea.


One of the things I love to do is have tea outdoors.
Whether it is on a  hike, a lovely table somewhere,
or even in the back yard.
I am a nature girl at heart
and grew up spending most of my time outdoors.
So it isn't any surprise that as often as possible
I go outdoors with my canister of tea
and a simple goodie.
One of my favorite outdoor treats is granola bars.
Now I was certain I had shared my recipe,
but upon looking this week I found I had not shared it.
It was a recipe I found in the newspaper quite a few years ago,
but altered and I think improved it so it would stick together better.
I hope some of you try this recipe
and go ahead and take it outdoors for some nature time.

Granola Bars
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
1 cup raw, unsalted peanuts
1 cup seedless raisins
1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (no-shell)
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
¼ cup light corn syrup
¼ cup peanut butter
1 -14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Note: It is easy to switch out the peanuts, raisins, and sunflower seeds with other dried fruit and nuts, just keep the same measurements.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line large jelly roll pan with parchment paper. In large bowl combine all ingredients until well blended. Pat mixture evenly, firmly, and smoothly onto parchment lined pan with rubber spatula. Bake 25 minutes until golden on edges. Cool 30 minutes. Lift out of pan and onto cutting board. Cut bars with pizza cutter. Store loosely covered at room temperature. (can be frozen)

 My back yard this week.
Getting ready for the celebration at an outdoor picnic this summer
with granola bars!

7 comments:

Sandi said...

Those granola bars look FABULOUS!

Love the flag, too, and the backyard. I am looking forward July 4th. We do a big cookout party and fireworks (the small kind).

Jeanie said...

Those granola bars caught my eye right away. They look and sound just wonderful -- all ingredients I like! They might be on the menu soon enough here! Thanks for that.

I do like Iced tea better than hot and your set up looks so pretty. Someday it will be warm enough here to enjoy ice tea!

Tracy said...

How lovely is that tea canister, Marilyn! Tea on-the-go is a treat. And BIG YUM your granola bars! I need to make these soon. We're always look for healthy treats. I wonder if I can use honey instead of the corn syrup, which is something I don't usually have in the cupboard? Using a pizza cutter is a good idea--neater cuts than a knife? FUN with your party/picnic soon! Happy Days:) ((HUGS))

Mary said...

All looks lovely in the back garden dear Marilyn. Those granola bars sound tasty - I will try them some day - after I knock off the few pounds I seemed to gain in Ireland, grrrrr! Bob gained too but he drank a lot of Guinness - I stuck to wine - and we did walk a lot so don't know what happened!

Thanks for your comments whilst I was gone. I have a lot to catch up on but feel really sick with a beastly cold/bug - Europe seems to share its bugs with tourists!

Love and hugs - Mary

Laura said...

This is a lovely post. I wonder could you substitute maple syrup or honey for the light corn syrup? I may have to try these!
blessings
~*~

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I have been wanting to try making my own granola bars, and I love that you can "personalize" it with various fruits and nuts. This sounds perfect, and I love that I know someone who has actually made this recipe. Thank you for sharing this!

Ginger said...

Marilyn, Thank you for sharing the granola bar recipe. I made them earlier today and my children are eating them for their afternoon snack. All of us are enjoying them. I didn't have raisins so used mini chocolate chips.