Saturday, May 30, 2020

Elderflowers


Well I downloaded the pictures and forgot to finish the post.
Life gets crazy sometimes.
The elderflowers are blooming in the garden right now;
so it was time to make elderflower cordial.
The recipe I tried this year had me steep the blossoms in a sugar syrup
with some lemon juice for 3 days.
It just becomes this gorgeous color and the scent is amazing.
After the three days you pour it through a sieve to remove the blossoms,
then I freeze part of it in little containers for the winter.
It is like springtime in a cold glass of ginger ale, sparkling water,
or maybe a crisp white wine.
Isn't the color amazing?
I wish you could smell and taste it, delicious!
I think next year I will go back to the Jamie Oliver recipe online,
but this was fun to try for this year.
Just a treat from the garden.

Hope you are having a delightful weekend, dear friends!
Get out and enjoy Springtime!

6 comments:

Lorrie said...

Your syrup looks delicious. I would love to find some elderflowers to make a concentrate. I had some in Europe last summer and found it so refreshing and delicious.

Jeanie said...

Been there, done that. Finish the post, that is. The part about making the elderflower syrup I have NOT done. Good for you. I bet it smells amazing and tastes so good!

Laurie said...

Oh that looks so good Marilyn, I have never heard of elderflower anything, I would love to try this. I wonder if elderflower grows here.

Red Rose Alley said...

Sounds tasty, especially on these warm days coming up. Almost Summertime here in California. Your elderflowers must look so pretty in your garden. They are dainty little ones. It's nice that your garden brings you so much joy, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Tracy said...

Oooo...that color! I'd like to swim in that color! :) How I always wanted to make elderflower cordial... our bush died after last summer's heat--it was only two years old, and just didn't make it. I hope we can try another one. Looks like you have the makings for a LOT of good summery drinks and things! ((HUGS))

Mary said...

I'm only familiar with white elderflower blossom and the subsequent yellowish white elderflower cordial I buy (made in England). Your flowers are so pretty Marilyn.

Hope all is well and you are feeling much better.