Monday, October 31, 2011

Dancing in the Leaves

Glass pumpkins, perfect for an October day.

October, Store-Keeper
by Ethel Romig Fuller

October is the keeper
of a bargain store
See the orange posters
At the windows and the door.

Within are piles of remnants,
Some faded, it is true,
By a summer's wear and tear;
Some as good as new.

Mill-ends of dahlia satin,
Chiffon of thistledown,
Cloth of goldenrod enough
For a party gown.

Zinnia ribbon yard lengths-
Note prices on the tags!-
Fringed with asters, they would make
The most distinctive bags.

And trays of lacquered rose haws
And watermelon seeds-
Could any combination be 
Lovelier for beads?

I hope your October was dressed in the most beautiful of finery
and you felt like dancing in the leaves.
Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

somepinkflowers said...

~~Zinnia ribbon yard lengths-
Note prices on the tags~~

love that part!

:-)

is there a pumpkin Tea?
i was just wondering....

somepinkflowers said...

PS--
i am not a Big Fan
of orange
but these colors are splendid!

Laurie said...

Love it Marilyn, and yes I do dance in the leaves! I love to feel rustling under my feet.

Relyn Lawson said...

I was just checking in with you about the swap. I hope it was wonderful and encouraging. Thanks so much for playing along with year. I always have such a good time watching people make new friends.

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I did, I did! What a lovely note to end October on!

Steph said...

A perfect and fun poem!

Dutchbaby said...

I adore these translucent pumpkins! Thanks so much for sharing these.

Jeanie said...

Possibly some of my favorite photos ever!