Monday, January 7, 2019

Garden Quotes 2019


Welcome to a new Monday series for 2019.
Each Monday I will post a garden quote with a picture or two.
It was fun doing the tea quotes for 2018, but now it is a new year with new adventures.

The first quote comes from a book I have been reading over the holiday season,
The Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater
It is a very interesting book about the holiday season, stories from the author
and English history along with recipes. To tell you the truth I have never read a recipe book,
but it is much more than that.
What I loved were the word images created by the author.

So here we go, a new year and new quotes:

"Underneath the fallen leaves things are happening 
at a rate of knots;
new life burgeons. Bulbs are sprouting, 
buds are bursting through grey bark,
new shoots push their way to the surface. 
Many plants vernalisation, a prolonged
patch of low temperatures, in order to grow. 
Tulips, freesias, crocus and snowdrops,
for instance.A secret world quietly doing what it
does each year. A study in renewal, rebirth, new life."

Enjoy! 
Top picture taken at Lan Su Chinese Gardens.
Bottom Picture taken in my garden a month ago. 
Believe it or not that bud is still in the garden,
but looking a bit worn.

6 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I used to have a small garden of roses in the back yard at our old house, Marilyn. How I miss those roses, but thankfully, there is a lovely rose garden about a mile from my house that I visit often. I look forward to your Monday garden quotes. Flowers are the magic in our lives. : )

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

I will enjoy this series very much with all your garden photos and your knack for finding the perfect quote!

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

Looking forward to this quote series! Gardens evoke so many emotions.

Tracy said...

BEAUTIFUL news series to start this new year, Marilyn... fun to go back to the garden! :))) ((HUGS))

Rosemary said...

This quote promises 'spring' and brings excitement to me with the mere thought of new beginnings, new life bursting forth from the frozen land.

Mary said...

I adore Nigel Slater - have his cookbook Real Fast Food and love the little asides and quotes he writes to introduce his recipes. He's been around for many, many years in British kitchens and on BBC TV, and has written so many great cookbooks. There is a movie titled TOAST (based on Nigel's memoir)starring Freddie Highmore - it's in my Netflix queue so perhaps I'll watch it soon!

I'll have to get the Christmas Chronicles for next holiday season - if I'm still up for cooking/baking etc. Some days I feel like I never want to cook again, haha!!!!

Love and hugs, Mary