Monday, August 26, 2019

Garden Quote 2019



“It always seemed to me that the herbaceous peony is the very epitome of June. Larger than any rose, it has something of the cabbage rose’s voluminous quality; and when it finally drops from the vase, it sheds its petticoats with a bump on the table, all in an intact heap, much as a rose will suddenly fall, making us look up from our book or conversation, to notice for one moment the death of what had still appeared to be a living beauty.”
~Vita Sackville-West

 Peonies are such a beautiful part of Spring,
I just had to look back.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I can see why you looked back. I love peonies too and their season is short.

sustainablemum said...

I got a bit confused then until I read to the end! Peonies are wonderful flowers aren't they, we inherited one in our garden when we moved in, it has given me 17 years of its beautiful blooms.

Red Rose Alley said...

Peonies are such a pretty flower, Marilyn. I am wondering if it is from the Rose family? It sure reminds me of a Rose. What lovely pictures of your Peonies. Always enjoy your garden quotes. : )

~Sheri

Louca por porcelana said...

They are wonderful!I am envious,here we don't have them...Hugs!

Tracy said...

LOVELY images, Marilyn! I've always liked Vita Sackville-West's writings on the garden... :) I love peonies... that their season is all too brief! I've always wanted a white peony... ((HUGS))

Lorrie said...

Peonies are so very beautiful, and last such a short while. Revisiting them is a great idea!