Thursday, October 24, 2019

Lochan Tea Review

In the cup is Mokalbari TGFOP 1 S, Second Flush 2019, Assam

Just a warning, this is a long list reviewing twenty samples sent to me a couple months ago.
What a treat to get to sample so many.
It has taken me awhile to sip each one and write this review.
Thank you to Lochan Tea for sending me these delicious teas.


Darjeeling teas often have a touch of oolong to me, 
very little astringency and a bit fruity. What a treat to taste all 20 teas.

1.      Doke Black Fusion - Second Flush 2019, Bihar, Hand Made Organic Black Tea
A nice morning black tea, lightly toasty.
2.      Doke Silver Needle, Second Flush 2019, Bihar, Hand Made Organic White Tea
Pretty leaf, with dusty white leaves. Until recently I didn’t particularly like white tea,
But finding a light sweetness/tartness together was delightful. Not as honey as some
White teas I have tasted lately, but good. My tastes have changed.
3.      Doke Green Diamond, Scond Flush 2019, Bihar, Hand Mad Organic Green Tea
Not being a green tea lover, it wasn’t my favorite, a tiny bit of astringency. I do believe I like a bit of fruitiness or floral, which wasn’t there in this one.
4.      Doke Black Fusion Tippy – Second Flush 2019, Bihar, Hand Made Organic Black Tea
For some reason I forgot to jot notes on this one, but if I remember it was a hearty black
And a good breakfast tea.
5.      Mokalbari TGFOP 1 S, Second Flush 2019, Assam (in the picture)
Rich and full, nutty, a good breakfast tea.
6.      Hattialli Golden Delight, Second Flush 2019, Assam
No astringency, smooth. A simple straight forward flavor with a slight caramel flavor at the front of the mouth.
7.      Latumoni Royal Tippy, Second Flush 2019, Assam, Naturally Grown Small Grower
A soft touch of sugar cane, with the second taste I steeped too long and it became bitter.
8.      Giddapahar Spring Wonder, First Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Exclusive
Smooth, not astringent, fruity/peachy, lovely.
9.      Arya Spring Wonder, First Flush 2019, Darjeeling
My first scent was of a green tea, but sipping was more apricot in flavor. Of course I love all Darjeeling teas, so fruity, which is “me” (I love fruity anything)
10.  Jungpana Spring Wonder, First Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Organic
A bit of greenness to this one.
11.  Niroulla Smoked Wonder, First Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Exclusive, a surprise
Indeed a surprise delight, I really liked this one, very smooth. Almond/apricot in taste.
12.  Goomtee Spring Delight, First Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Organic
Sometimes I find organic teas to be a bit flat, but this was not. The final taste and it reminds me of my love of first flush Darjeelings, smooth with no astringency.

13.  Goomtee Classic Mascatel, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeliing, Organic
The first taste was made in a gaiwan and tasted tannic and astringent, but a bit citrusy. The second was made English style and I like it much more, fruity and in enjoying it I almost forgot to review it. Just enjoyed it.
14.  Jungpana Vintage Muscatel, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Organic
Preferred this steeped English style also, lower temperature, richer, and apricot with the lower temperature.
15.  Castleton FTGFOP 1 SPL, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling
Nice simple black tea, good with sugar. Not the same as Castleton Moonlights, which I love, but a richer black tea, a bit toasty.
16.  Giddapahar Summer Delight, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Exclusive
A touch of summer delight, slight fruitiness and warmth of the sun.
17.  Upper Fagu SFTGFOP 1, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling
Smooth, a touch of something special, not fruity as some, but maybe a bit citrus and almond. No astringency or bitterness.
18.  Niroulla Summer Smoked, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Naturally Grown Small Grower
Simple, light tea. A bit woodsy-mushroom, very lightly. Prefered their smoke tea better, might be the difference between 1st and 2nd flush.
19.  Sourenee Clonal Special, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Organic
A bit musky, not light and fruity, nice simple black tea, not sweet. A bit like walking through a spongy humus of the forest floor.
20.  Arya FTGFOP 1 CH, Second Flush 2019, Darjeeling, Organic
Nutty and toasty and smooth.

If you haven't tried a Darjeeling tea, I highly recommend trying a good quality one or two.
 

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

You must have such a sensitive palette, Marilyn. I don't know if I've had darjeeling or not. I'll have to see!

Rosemary said...

What a comprehensive tasting of some lovely teas!

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, that is the pretties Autumn picture. It has all the colors of the season, perfect. Oh my, you have sampled so many teas in your time. You really are a tea expert I would say. : )

~Sheri