Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Tea Farmer

Konishi-san, the tea farmer, came to my garden this week.
What a treat to walk in the garden with him.
Thankful, he had Geena, the translator, with him.
I loved chatting about tea and getting acquainted.
Here he is chatting with my "live-in gardener".
We learned a little about caring for our tea plants.

Konishi-san comes every October to a local teashop, Jasmine Pearl,
where he sips tea with their customers and shares his tea.
His farm is near Mount Fuji in a region that is good for growing tea.
It is a small family run farm with just 5 family members that do all the plucking and processing.
In the box on the table he brought several packages of his pesticide free, organic teas.
Now I will be looking forward to sipping each one of them.

I decided to serve him my favorite tea from India,
Castleton Moonlight, first flush 2019.
Well I guess I could have served him some of his tea,
but thought he might enjoy another tea.
We all enjoyed it and a herbal cookies too. 

Tea has opened up some wonderful friendships and experiences that I will always treasure.
This was a real treat.

In Tea the host is simplicity and the guest elegance.
If all is done in sincerity it is better than a thousand graces.
~Matsudaria Naritada

4 comments:

Terra said...

Those moments with the tea grower sound blissful. I drink a lot of tea and am always on the lookout for new teas to try.

martea said...

He looks very happy sipping tea with you in your garden house setting. How very special to have him and his friend/translator as your guest.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

How lovely! You certainly have had some wonderful tea experiences. And that is such a lovely bit of verse--one I've never seen.

Jeanie said...

Serving tea to a tea farmer? That would be like cooking for Julia Child! I'd be panicked! But what a lovely and grand time. And what a perfect spot for you to enjoy your tea!