Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Tea Crop - Spring 2020

Tea (camellia sinensis) grows in my garden.
There are about 7 plants, but I pick from the more mature plants.
The small 3 are waiting until they grow up to be big plants and then there will be a full hedge for picking.
About mid-March I plucked my first flush, picking the top 3 leaves that were freshly grown.
I let them sit for a few hours then wrapped them in a cloth napkin and twisted and twisted more
to get a tight ball. Letting them sit tied in the cloth, then twisted some more.
Probably I got about 2 small teapots of tea from that plucking.

I thought that was going to be the only plucking this year until about 2 weeks ago I noticed
there was a lot of fresh growth.
I plucked again and got the largest amount ever, I was amazed.
This time I decided to let the leaves sit over night and then stir fry them in my iron skillet.
Here they are still fresh in the skillet ready to stir fry.
Stir fry is done now.
It took about 10 minutes on a medium heat.
Isn't it pretty, I think so!
Now time to taste.
The stir fried tea was like a white smokey tea.
Then I compared it to the earlier batch.
It had more sweetness and was like a white tea.
Comparing the two side by side really helped me know which I liked best.
I liked the first batch best.
The second batch I may add some herbs to make it a blend,
maybe lemon verbena.
It's fun playing around with my own tea crop.
No harm done if I don't like it as it is just for me.
If I was not social distancing, I would make a pot to share with friends.

Hope you are finding something fun to do just for you while quarantined at home.

7 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a great harvest! Lucky you! This looks like a great experiment - and a delicious pot of tea at the end. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanie said...

I love how you do this! You are a scientist and epicure as well as a tea gardener. That looks like quite a large harvest. Well done!

mamasmercantile said...

What fun, I love the idea of experimenting with tea, what a great pastime. It certainly does look beautiful in all its guises.

susan hemann said...

I have never tried growing tea!! How fun. Just what I need, another project. lol I will be researching that one

Mary said...

Amazing how you can actually make your very own tea from your own plants!
Love the cup and saucer - know it was fun experimenting and then sitting down, relaxing, with your own "Marilyn blend".

Angela McRae said...

I have still never actually harvested my tea, but you inspired me to re-try growing some more plants! I love your experiments in small-batch tea blending. What a wonderful way to enjoy some truly "specialty" tea!

Tracy said...

Soooo EXCITING, Marilyn! And what a great harvest this year! I can see how the first take would the best drink. Although, I LOVE your idea of the second take being made up as part of an herbal blend...mmm... It's all GOOD! During this crazy time, I'm knitting a lot--and the best fun is beginning to come up with some of my own patterns, for socks mostly. ;) ((HUGS))