Monday, January 4, 2021

A Word for the Week

 A poem for you on this first Monday of 2021:

Ithaka

As you set out in search of Ithaka

Pray that your journey be long,

full of adventures, full of awakenings,

Do not fear the monsters of old...

You will not meet them in your travels

if your thoughts are exalted and remain high,

if authentic passions stir your mind, body and spirit.

You will  not encounter fearful monsters

if you do not carry them with your soul,

if your soul does not set them up in front of you.

Ithaka by Constantine Peter Cavafy 

(1911, as read at Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis's funeral)

The meaning of Ithaka:

In Greek poet C.P. Cavafy's poem, he conveys the meaning of life, or as he calls it, Ithaka. He notes that as we all try to achieve our goals, it is important to not lose sight of the journey. This journey is what offers us wisdom and makes us rich in experiences, knowledge and maturity.

Let's savor each day of the journey. 

6 comments:

Tracy said...

WOW... I had not encountered that poem before... What a blessing! Thank you, Marilyn... Carp Diem! :) ((LOVE & HUGS))

Jeanie said...

That's a powerful poem, Marilyn. I didn't know it. I hope we don't encounter monsters of old, though some of them are rearing their ugly orange heads these days.

Linda P said...

An interesting poem. Just to let you know here we're back into our third national lockdown due to a new variant of the virus with faster spread of infection. A grim situation with further new challenges ahead for us. Thinking of you as you and your family face your own challenges at this time dear Marilyn.
.

Mary said...

Ithaka is new to me also Marilyn - and it certainly fits in with the way I've been feeling at the start of another year, which still feels sad, and could remain incomplete in so many ways.

Hugs - Mary

Red Rose Alley said...

Your post touched me, Marilyn, as I just went on a journey of a lifetime - moving from So Cal to Northern Cal and up to the mountains. It was a scary journey, as I don't like driving the freeways, but I did, and I am here safe and sound. The journey is important, isn't it? Sometimes we don't see that when we are facing it.

~Sheri

Lowcarb team member said...

I didn't know that poem, thank you for posting it.
My good wishes for 2021.

All the best Jan