Monday, January 25, 2021

A Word for the Week

 Today is my "live-in gardener's" birthday; so I was thinking this morning about gifts. What did he want versus what I am giving him. A gift may not be a tangible item, but a gift of time or yourself. Maybe the gift is a special word or song. My "live-in gardener" doesn't ask for much, so a couple days ago he said there was something he would like, something I am not sure I can find. It won't come for his birthday, but now the idea is planted in my mind I am trying to figure out how to go about accessing this gift.

From the dictionary:

Definition of gift

1 : a notable capacity, talent, or endowment 
2 : something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation 
3 : the act, right, or power of giving

What does gift mean to you?

How do you receive the gift when given to you?

The Gift by Mary Oliver

Be still, my soul, and steadfast.
Earth and heaven both are still watching
though time is draining from the clock
and your walk, that was confident and quick,
has become slow.

So, be slow if you must, but let
the heart still play its true part.
Love still as once you loved, deeply
and without patience. Let God and the world
know you are grateful. That the gift has been given.
 
 
Happy new week, the last week of January.
Can you believe a month is almost past for 2021?
Time is a gift to be treasured too.
Treasure and receive each day as a gift.

7 comments:

Laura Morrigan said...

Love the photos!

Tracy said...

Hi, Marilyn! LOVELY to catch up with you here! I can't believe it either, that we're at the end of January already! It's strange how time is these days. On the one hand Covid makes it seem like time is slow. But then the daily tasks and things need doing, and so they go as fast as ever. I've been trying to view time as a gift. I have a difficult time with gifts, like when being given a physical item. Mostly because I feel like I don't deserve it somehow. But also I try to embrace a more minimal way of living, which often gets forgotten. Folks mean well, but when you say you don't want/need anything, they often don't believe it... haha! Be keeping well and safe, my friend! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Red Rose Alley said...

This poem, The Gift, is beautiful, and how do you seem to manage making my heart sing with the poems that you share and the words you choose each time. Gift is a beautiful word, and I have received many gifts this year. I'm so grateful. Happy Birthday to your husband, Marilyn. I'm curious what gift you are thinking of giving him.

Your posts are like a breath of fresh air to me.

~Sheri

mamasmercantile said...

I enjoyed the poem and made me think about gifts and time. Happy Birthday to your dear hubby.

Jeanie said...

well, now I am very curious about what he would like and how you are going to deliver!

Linda P said...

Interesting photos Marilyn. I hope your live-in gardener enjoyed his birthday. I look forward to seeing the gift.

Lorrie said...

Mary Oliver's words have such aching loveliness to them. A true gift considers the receiver, as you are doing. It may require effort, but the pleasure of giving is seeing the joy and appreciation when the gift is opened. Such a beautiful post. Happy Birthday to your live-in gardener!