Monday, July 3, 2023

Word Magic

 I am reading The Light We Carry by Michelle Obama right now. Last evening as I read she mentioned the word jeopardy - the danger of loss, harm, or failure.

The word this week is jeopardy. 

Michelle wrote, "Who doesn't worry about loss, harm, or failure? We are all constantly processing our fears, attempting to sort out actual emergencies from manufactured ones." She goes on to talk about paying attention to our fears and to acknowledge them, putting them into a perspective that doesn't paralyze you. Always "be comfortably afraid", but be able to continue on. Take notice being "awake and aware".

 

I thought about those times when something or someone crosses your path and you feel chills run up your arms or your stomach suddenly feels a bit sick. We need to be alert enough to notice those bodily feelings and pay attention to why we are feeling that way.  Often lately I have been chatting about "notice what you notice" and again this would be the case here. 

Most often we wouldn't walk down a dark road alone in the middle of the night. Yet, during the daylight and with a friend we would feel perfectly safe.

 

Several years ago my minister asked me to speak in church. I gulped a big breathe and thought "wow! I don't talk in front of groups, how can I do that". I felt the fear of failure or not being good enough. I said OK, I would do it. Putting myself out there was scary, but I knew it was a safe place to do it. I also knew I would grow by doing it. Now I am surprised at myself because I sometimes voluntarily choose to speak in church and actually love it.  

So for today and always, let's face our fears and "notice what you notice". Live gently and walk tenderly, bravely and with love in our hearts.

The pictures are just because I liked them. The lavender and barn picture just below is my 4th of July picture for this year.

 

Happy Fourth of July, dear friends!
 

 

3 comments:

Lorrie said...

Happy 4th of July, Marilyn. What good words today, noticing, acknowledging and dealing with our fears is so important to be able to move forward in life.

Jeanie said...

I love the photos you chose and your words are wise ones. What's challenging is when the fears are based on things more or less totally out of our control. (I'm thinking on a more national or global scale.) Apart from snakes, I don't have a lot of "daily" fears anymore. I don't think -- I'll let you know if I inadvertently discover some.

Red Rose Alley said...

I think those are one of the prettiest hydrangeas I've seen. Love the color. Nel has some purple ones in the front of her yard, and they look so nice against her green house. What an awesome 4th of July picture with the red bard, the flag, and the lavender field. You should frame this photo, Marilyn. It really is quite pretty.

~Sheri