Monday, July 31, 2023

Word Magic

 When you read, do you become enchanted by the way an author shares and wraps around words. Do you get pulled down the rabbit hole by the words and start to imagine and dream?

Is this my rabbit hole?

The following quote from The Velveteen Rabbit did just that for me.


“Real isn’t how you are made,” said the Skin Horse. “It’s a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.”
by Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit

The word for today is REAL.

definition: "actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed."

Did a bird really lay those eggs there, are they real?
 

I am imagining what it would be like to imagine and it becomes real. As a young girl I had quite the imagination and dreamt my dolls could talk to me. I dreamt that the fairies and gnomes in the woods could dance with me. I think even today I love to dream of magic, thus the title is Word Magic. Words are like magic and create fantasies and dreams to become real. Real seems to discourage fantasy and the abstract.

When writing this I began thinking about realism art; so another rabbit hole I went down. "Realism in the arts is generally the attempt to represent subject matter truthfully, without artificiality and avoiding speculative and supernatural elements. The term is often used interchangeably with naturalism, although these terms are not synonymous." Wikipedia

This piece of art could be considered real, but doesn't it feel a bit whimsical?
 

Have you ever heard someone say "get real"? What does that mean? Maybe sometime I wouldn't want someone to "get real" because it might mean something uncomfortable. 

The more I think on this word I am torn. I love a good fantasy, but I want people to be real with me too.

What do you think of when you hear the word REAL?

 

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Interesting, Marilyn. I think of factual. "As it IS." And I do believe it can be real and fanciful because some things just are!

Lorrie said...

Interesting question, Marilyn. To me, real has the sense of actual - an event that actually happened - or something that can be touched, seen, heard, or verified - which would include expressions of emotion.
Real versus fake. So many things to think about with this word, especially in this day of artificial intelligence and photo manipulation.

Sandi Magle said...

Very interesting, totally see the original witch from Disney's Sleeping Beauty in there, not YOU, lol.

REAL...as a child my parents let me take extensive art classes and I would look at the assigned subject and cross/blur my eyes to look at it as simple shapes, composition and forms---almost unrecognizable. What I saw wasn't real, but it was to my context. Everything we see or hear, we assess through our own context. That doesn't make our context real, but sometimes warped or pure illusion or more beautiful to ourselves. Sorta explains the state of our country at this moment.

Red Rose Alley said...

Real and true go hand and hand, and they have similar meaning. I am looking at that mirror in the first photo and can't figure it out. Is that a picture frame, or is that you looking in the mirror? Whatever it is, it's so unique and pretty. You'll have to tell me about it. ; )

~Sheri