Saturday, February 17, 2024

Chinese New Year's at the Garden

Welcome to the Lan Su Chinese Gardens once again. They are celebrating Chinese New Year's with red lanterns and even a dragon. It is now the year of the Wood Dragon, leaving the year of the Rabbit.

This week my grandson, D, had a day off school; so we walked in the garden to see what we spotted. Over the bridge we went.

He was asked what he noticed when we were leaving. He noticed many red lanterns and an alter to ancestors.





I noticed the color red everywhere I looked and blossoms beginning to make an appearance.

This bird was honoring blooming camellias.

And here is the dragon in the small lake.

D enjoyed the day. He even spotted a few pandas along the way.




And as we left the garden, I turned for one more look at lanterns hanging from the tree.


 It was a typical winter, rainy day in Portland walking in the garden.
Next week my "live-in gardener" and I will be visiting in the evening for a special event. I am looking forward to seeing the lanterns lit up and some dancing dragons throughout the garden.
 
Do you like celebrating different cultures throughout the year?
Is Chinese New Year's one you celebrate?
What celebrations from other countries do you enjoy celebrating?
 
Have a terrific weekend, dear friends.
Sending love,
Marilyn

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I just love all the lanterns and floats and wonderful bursts of color. There isn't any kind of Chinese New Year celebration around here -- the best you can do is getting take-out Chinese (I really am NOT fond of Chinese food). But I'd love a fest like this -- just for the visuals of it all!

Red Rose Alley said...

How wonderfully festive the Chinese Gardens are. Love that little panda. I would love to browse through here and just look around at everything. What a memorable day for you and your grandson. That dragon is something else!

~Sheri