Monday, February 19, 2024

Words of Kindness and Joy

 Flowers are from my garden this week.

 
 
"I believe in kindness. Also in mischief. Also in singing, especially when singing is not necessarily prescribed." 
-Mary Oliver


I am thinking about Mary Oliver's comment about mischief and kindness. What do you think? 

I grew up in a family that loved to tease and joke. It was a way of letting someone know they trusted them enough to be silly with them, let down their hair. My "live-in gardener" didn't grow up with teasing; so he took my joking with him as unkind. I still struggle with that one, even after all these years. Kindness does matter, but does it matter with a bit of mischief?

I loved the lanterns in this restaurant recently. Does a business that takes the time to decorate with their customers in mind show kindness?

Yep, I am full of questions today.

Do hummingbirds sing?

Are they showing kindness in sharing their beauty and song? 

As a young girl I sang all the time. My children didn't like my singing and I found I no longer sang out loud.  It seems like I am revealing my heart today. When someone sings to you is that kind even if they sing off tune?

Sharing my heart today. 

Remember to be kind to each other and sing out loud, even if you are the only one that hears it. It is kind to oneself.

Sending love,

Marilyn

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love your thoughts and questions -- and that Mary Oliver quote is good. I think teasing can cut both ways and one needs to be careful how they tease. What may seem like mischief can easily seem unkind, even unintentionally mean. I don't sing much anymore since my lungs went and my voice changed. Pity, that, because I used to be good. Now I sing by myself. And who knows -- sometimes outloud around someone -- but quietly!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, that sweet hummingbird! Love him to bits. Your post home hit home for me, Marilyn, cause we joked a lot in my family as well. We usually didn't mind the joking, it gave us a sense of humor. But one day, my dad said something jokingly towards me, and I was in a really bad mood that day, and it didn't sit well with me. But later I realized that I was the youngest out of five, and me and my dad were very close so he could joke with me.

Those lanterns are so pretty at the restaurant, very decorative. This was such a wonderful post, Marilyn. Words and all. : )

~Sheri

Linda P said...

I'm rather a serious person so mischief is not my natural way, but I do like humming a little tune to myself when I feel in the mood. Your photos are, as usual, so pretty.

Lorrie said...

I also grew up in a household with teasing and lots of laughter. My husband did not. In the first few months of marriage, I wondered if I would ever laugh myself silly again. He learned to laugh and tease a very little, and we have spent lots of time laughing. Love Mary Oliver's words!