Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Primrose Lane





The primrose has never been one of my favorite flowers.
They always just spoke to me in the early spring as I would walk into the market as the first spring flower.
It was the color that would catch my eye and I would end up coming home with one to remind myself that spring was coming.  But I really wasn't that fond of them.
Then I started realizing there were other varieties than the ones we see in the market.
I started noticing and I fell in love with them.

These were found in the Government Gardens in Victoria, BC, Canada.
The gardens were close to the B&B where we stayed.  What a beautiful place to walk.


From Wikipedia:
Primulaceae is a family of flowering plants with about 24 genera, including some favorite garden plants and wildflowers. It is also known as the primrose family.
The primula vulgaris is the most common primrose, one of the first to bloom.
It is often seen in Victorian cottage gardens.
The leaves can be steeped for tea.  (Now I haven't tried this; so not sure how they would taste.)

Take time to notice what you notice and if you see a primrose, cherish the beauty of the flower.