Friday, May 10, 2019

A Mighty Fine Day

Do you ever have just a normal, everyday sort of day
and then suddenly it turns into a mighty fine day?
Wednesday I went to the gym,
something I try to do regularly.
It was a normal sort of day.
On returning home I needed to go to the market;
but I took a detour and found myself strolling
through the Lan Su Chinese Gardens for a little respite.
Well you know I do that sometimes;
so it was still just a normal sort of day.

And then the docent greeted me and pointed out some
gorgeous flowers.
Well you know that lifts my spirits.




So I decided to stop at the teahouse for some tea.
I was greeted by the manager, well she knows me,
and told me they had a special Competition Style Dong Ding oolong.
Rather than look at the menu I asked her to bring me this special tea.
Traveling alone I thought I would just sit at the table that faces the
garden and enjoy the sunshine.
There was a woman sitting nearby sketching.
After she put her sketch book away we started chatting.
Isabella was from Belgium and she loves to travel a lot;
so you can tell where our conversation went.
When she retired she decided her money would go into travel;
so she lives simply and takes pet sitting jobs all over the world.
The chat brought back travel memories for me.
And just this little detour in my day and
a chat with a stranger made it a mighty fine day.
I love when I put myself out there and take a detour in my day.

Happy Weekend, dear friends!
Take the detour, you will be glad you did it!

5 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Oh, how I love this post! I'm taking a little "me break" from work today, and this is just what I needed to read. I'm fascinated by this woman's plan of living simply and taking pet-sitting jobs abroad. That is quite brilliant, isn't it? And I love wisteria, so that wisteria bonsai has my heart!

Thelma said...

A lovely story. I envy that Lady who can travel by herself living simply and take pet-sitting jobs. We do meet interesting people when we least expect it.

Sandi said...

What a perfectly wonderful day!

Is the first photo a Lilac Bonzai?? 😍

Jeanie said...

Oh my! That wisteria bonsai! WOW!

I love the story of the woman from Belgium. I've a pet sitter friend who does it for travel.

And all the beautiful flowers, wonderful nature. Marilyn, I know this is one of your happy places. I can see why.

Tracy said...

WOW... wow...wow... a visit to this place would DEFINITELY lift a day into an EXTRAORDINARY day. :) I'm not sure if I've seen a wisteria bonsai before...fabulous! What a beautiful, inspirational, restful place... And how lovely you met a fellow traveler while there. It's so nice to make connections like that. :)