Saturday, February 1, 2020

A Mother's Hands

These hands belong to my aunt, but were so much like
my mother's I asked if I could take a picture of her hands.

A Mother's Hands

I used to think: her small hands
Spread on her apron, are,
One, like the morning planet;
One, the evening star.
(Yet so seldom quiet-
Much, much to be done
For a home, a family,
Between a sun and sun.)
I used to think: they twinkle,
As she knits, she sew,
Takes bread from the oven,
Tends gay posy rows.
I used to think...but now that
God has strangely willed
A mother's precious, busy hands
Be heart-breaking stilled,
I wonder, was she called thence
Because He needed her-
Oh, not more than we-for tasks
Even starrier?

~Kitchen Sonnets by Ethel Romig Fuller
I haven't shared one of her poems for awhile.
She was poet laureate of Oregon many years ago.

My "live-in gardener" and his mother.
My daughter and her son.

Mothers hands hold precious ones, safely in their arms.
A smile, a look of wonder surrounds a mother and her child.

Happy weekend, dear friends!
Hope you are having a good one.

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Oh... beautiful...

Jeanie said...

I love this. Hands that have held babies and the hand of their dearest love, have pet cats and kittens and dogs, baked bread and wiped tears. So much. Lovely photos.

Red Rose Alley said...

These photos are precious. Is that baby picture of your grandson that you write about sometimes? A mother's hands are very special. They are always busy and always comforting. I remember my mom used to be so busy during the day doing things to make her home a better place for her family. The photo of your aunt's hands is a treasure, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Tracy said...

This is sooo LOVE-LY!! I'm momma to a cat only, but I feel the momma love. ;)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, so many lovely things to comment on in this post, so I'll just pick two: Joey ('nuf said!) and the photo with the cake. Beautifully composed with the red in the background to complement the red heart in the gorgeous cake.