Saturday, February 22, 2020

No Brands Here - A Story of Tea


How did I learn so much about tea.
 I have always liked tea.
As a normal tea drinker I decided I would open a tearoom.
Then the real learning began!
 I drank mostly brands of tea like Stash and Republic of Tea.
Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with them,
but there was so much to learn.
Searching online for help to open a tearoom I found
Magnolia and Ivy in Georgia of all places.
Off I flew! And the learning began.
There I was introduced to loose leaf tea,
making little sandwiches, and the history of tea.
Pandora's Box opened for me and the learning began in earnest.
In fact, when if you get into tea, coffee, wine, or even cheese and
other foods it becomes a lifetime of learning.
With the search beginning I had opportunity to visit the tasting/development room
with Steven Smith, then the owner of Tazo.
After that visit I realized tea companies developed there teas according
to the one tasting and developing and if I had a different taste profile I wouldn't like their teas.
I never liked Tazo Teas, then later didn't like Smith Tea Maker for the same reason.
After Smith Tea Maker had someone else developing their teas I began liking their teas.
After a year of research I realized a tearoom was a restaurant.
My experience was in product development and I didn't want a restaurant.
The learning continued!
I joined an online tea group and started learning from others.
I kept sipping.
Then I started meeting people that really knew good tea,
they were kind enough to share their knowledge.
I became part of a new tea group here in town.
In the WuWo Tea Ceremony group I learned so much at our monthly sipping times.
From there it has been tea festivals and much drinking of tea in shops,
tearooms, and with friends.

Now you may have noticed I said in the heading "No Brands Here".
Well the more I have tasted and learned about tea the more I have learned
it is not about the brand. It is about good quality tea more closely connected to the grower.
Whole leaves of tea made into fine quality tea.
It's not chopped up pieces of mediocre teas.
It is also about the tea maker.

Now you may call me a "tea snob", yes I guess I have become that along the way.
But it is in the learning and gaining an appreciate for all that influences
what goes into my teacup. Where was it grown, who grew it, how did they process it,
and how soon it came traveling from somewhere in the world right to me and my teacup.

So for me it isn't about the brand, but all about the tea.
No brands here!

Have a terrific weekend, dear friends!
Have a cup of tea.
I am sure I have shared this picture before,
but the flower in the cup of tea is from my tea plant.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

It's funny when you said you were a tea snob. I call Rick a wine snob all the time and we both are in our ways (him more than me!). I find this and your journey fascinating -- it's quite a road you have taken and your commitment is what really makes it so profoundly interesting. It's not just that you tasted the teas but went places to talk to the makers! I don't have that palate for tea but I do know and can tell a difference between many that I have tried. I don't really know what the difference is technically, but I can tell with taste or just how I like it. Which is probably exactly how I am with wine!

Robin Cooper-Wood said...

Marilyn, your journey, education, and connection through tea is fascinating. Thank you for sharing what you’ve learned with us!

Sandi said...

Mm...you make me want to brew a cup right now, dandelion tea of course! ☕️

mamasmercantile said...

What a fascinating journey you have been on in your pursuit of knowledge. Your quest is to be admired and I for one am thankful for you sharing information with us.

Rosemary said...

Tea has taken us all on an amazing journey. I enjoyed reading about your adventure - and know that the learning, the journey and the adventure will continue with each passing day. That is what makes this tea experience so magical!

Mary said...

You may be a "tea snob" but no matter, I love you just the way you are, and I don't know anyone else who is so well versed in every aspect of tea dear Marilyn.
Thanks for the lovely story of your personal journey with teas from around the world - you always teach us a lot about the special way tea come to us in a beautiful china cup, whether loose (the best), or in those convenient little bags!!!

Love and hugs - Mary

Andrea Charles said...

A fascinating experience of a tea lover. I have never met anyone who is as crazy as you are. The effort you have taken to stay close with your interest is quite interesting. I have addiction for chocolates and I have a group for it. Wonderful to learn about all the tea groups and community.

VasanthMusicCoimbatore said...

It is impressive to read your connection, education, and journey with tea. I am impressed reading your blog. I have learnt a lot of things in your blog. Now, I feel tempted to sip a cup of tea.