Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Tea in Oregon

Last year there was a campaign to have tea growing in every state in the United States.
In some states it is just a single plant growing in a pot.
Gradually there are farms growing tea around the country.
I had read about Oregon's tea farm and since I would be nearby on Saturday,
 I had to visit Minto Island Growers in Salem, Oregon.
What a thrill to see a newly planted plot of tea.
I didn't see the plants they were picking, but right here in Oregon tea was growing.
There is a farm stand at the farm where they sell produce, tea (green and oolong), and tea plants.
I haven't been able to find them selling online yet,
but as soon as I know they do I will let you know.

I bought some oolong, it was a first flush (first picking) in the spring (May).
With a sniff I was captured with the floral scent.
Looking at the leaves, they were just beautiful.
Then steeping and tasting was pure delight.

So if you ever find yourself traveling through Salem, Oregon,
stop by Minto Island Farms for tea.

4 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Wow, we are definitely on the same page today! It is fascinating to me that there is now this effort to seriously grow tea at a variety of places here in the U.S. -- and it's high time, I say!

Bernideen said...

Well that sure is wonderful Marilyn. I didn't know about the effort to grow tea around the country. Maybe snow tea for Colorado!

Tracy said...

VERY exciting about this tea campaign back home--I'd not heard about it! I love the idea of all the states growing tea...I like the harmony of that. :o) Can't wait for more news of these teas available online for purchase--maybe by next year! Happy Day, Marilyn ((HUGS)) P.S. the hand is doing better--thankfully!

Jeanie said...

I wonder if Michigan is growing any. Well, apart from mixing up mint and such for herbals. Interesting post!