Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Better Version


Me dreaming of those waves.
Sitting in the automotive repair shop just yesterday I sipped my morning tea and nibbled on a scone.
After all it was early and I hadn't had breakfast yet.
Once done with breakfast in this tiny man cave of cars, I looked for something to read.
Next to me was a pile of "old" magazines sitting on a small table.
There was one People Magazine from 2012 where Justin was the topic,
many automotive magazines, and a more recent Surfer magazine.
Well I thought at least the Surfer magazine would have some pretty pictures;
so I picked it up and began to read.
I was becoming engrossed in this magazine when all to soon my car was ready.

The article that caught my eye in the Surfer magazine was a list of about 6 things
to make you a better surfer.  I soon realized this was not only for surfers, but for anyone.
One of the points, I think #2, said to toss out or give away clothes, wetsuits, and boards
that were damaged and had holes.  The reason was that when you surrounded yourself
with undamaged goods you felt better about yourself and thus moved with more confidence.
Yes, I thought, when I am wearing something that makes me feel good, I walk with more confidence.

The statement that most hit me though was, "What makes you a better version of yourself?"
What gives you confidence?  What makes you brave?
What makes you face difficult situations and feel good about it at the other end?

I know this is a bit longer than I usually write, but sometimes things just percolate in my mind
until I must share with you.   For me I want always to be a "better version" and be brave,
yet I sit passively back and let life happen.
This percolating time has helped me to at least notice and take action.
Now if I were 18 years old I would definitely be out there on that surf board,
but as a woman of an older age I will choose other activities.
But who knows where life will lead us if we are BRAVE and becoming a "better version"
of ourselves? 

The following youtube I have had for awhile to share with you.  I hope you enjoy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, this was a much longer post than normal, but IT WAS AWESOME. Loved what you wrote...made me think too.

Gigi Thibodeau said...

This was just what I needed to read this evening. Thank you, Marilyn! xo

Lorrie said...

This is a lovely post, Marilyn. Being brave is something I want. I'm too chicken to get out there and try.

Angela McRae said...

Now I would never have thought to look for inspiration (and an escape from auto shop boredom!) in the surfer magazine. I LOVE that you found some life lessons here! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Jeanie said...

Marilyn, you know I love your photo/quote posts but when you include something like this, it takes us to another spot to really think about things and in all the best ways. I'm glad you had that time at the shop -- I hope it wasn't too expensive but I suspect you probably learned a few things that made it worth the dollars and times!