Friday, December 5, 2014

Christmas Train time

 There was a Christmas steam engine train just today.
Yes, it was waiting for little girls and boys to board.
 They were delighted in the ride.
 A candy cane from Santa.
Ecstasy!

Grandson D thought the candy cane was an umbrella,
as he had not been introduced to this delight of Christmas.
He tried to hold it over his head, 
but it just didn't keep the rain off his head.
Soon he figured it out.

On a side note:
The sweater he is wearing is very precious to me.
Many years ago I visited New Zealand, in fact when D's mommy was in first grade.
There I met a woolcraft artist that was featured at the National Woolcraft Festival.
Her name was Errol Amberger.
We developed a friendship through the mail and she wanted to spin and knit
sweaters for my children.  She asked for their measurement and I sent them in inches.
Needless to say they didn't fit my children as she worked in meters;
 so I told her I would save them for my grandchildren.
 Each year at Christmas she would write and ask if there were any
grandchildren and I would say no not this year.
Errol passed away a few years ago and doesn't know, but I had to share with
you here.  Today was the day a grandchild wore her gorgeous sweater.
Yes, we kept it clean, I watched very carefully.
Seeing D in this sweater today brought tears to my eyes for a dear friend's memory
and her special gift.

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

What fun for a precious, little boy. I love the sweater he's wearing and the story of the friend who made is special.
~Adrienne~

Laura Morrigan said...

What a wonderful memory, I bet she is smiling down.

The train is magical!

Jeanne said...

What a beautiful lovely sweater for your precious grandson to wear.
Love and hugs
Jeanne

Jeanie said...

Marilyn, I love the story about Errol. I suspect somewhere there's an angel from Down Under who is standing watch over your most beautifully bedecked boy -- and she is smiling. I know I am.

Rosemary said...

What a beautiful gift - and heartwarming story - perfect for this holiday season of joy and remembrance.

Gigi Thibodeau said...

Oh, my heart, what a beautiful gift and a truly lovely story, Marilyn. The perfect Christmas memory. xo

parTea lady said...

Your grandson looks so sweet in the special sweater. Makes me remember my favorite Aunt Betty (now deceased) who knit wonderful sweaters for my children while they were growing up. I saved a couple - wish I had kept them all now.

Lorrie said...

Such a sweet memory of your friend. The photo of your grandson in the sweater, sucking on his candy cane and looking out the window is so darling.

Lady Linda said...

I love your post....what a great story. Your grandson is adorable. I also really liked the pix of Portland's trees Marilyn.