Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Assam Tea for Breakfast

Recently Lochan Tea sent me some (well actually more than some)
tea to taste and review. What a very special treat that has been.
So far I have no complaints.





Each day I am working my way through another new one.
I think it will take me the full month of July just to taste and enjoy.
This past week it has been teas from the Assam region of India.
Do you know where Assam is? Just east of Darjeeling on the upper
east side of the country near the Himalayas.
Now I have never been a big fan of Assam teas,
but I was willing to give them a try.
To tell you the truth I think my palate isn't trained to taste
the nuances of Assam's black teas.
That said I can totally understand why the English like these black teas.
They can be strong black, but with a splash of milk quite delicious.
The perfect morning tea!
Here is a list of the five Assam teas I tasted.

   Singluan TGFOP, Second Flush 2018, Assam.  I find a lot of teas from Assam to be CTC tea (crush, tear, curl) and this is one. With CTC I like a smaller amount of tea per water or I find they get to bitter. This one was not bitter at all and quite a nice smooth breakfast black tea. 
No bitter after taste. I would drink this one again.

      Hattialli TGFOP 1 CL, Second Flush 2018, Assam. Very much what I think represents black teas from Assam.  A full bodied black with a slight bit of astringency. It would be good with a splash of milk, which is what I feel for many teas from Assam. I think that is what the English like about Assam teas.     
  
              Mokalbari TGFOP 1, Second Flush 2018, Assam.  By now I realized I have a difficult time noticing the differences in Assam teas.  Each one is black, would be good with a splash of milk, makes a good breakfast tea, and is just a nice straight forward black tea.
 
       Sree Sibbari TGFOP 1 CL, Second Flush 2018, Assam and  Teloijan TGFOP 1, Second Flush 2018, Assam were two more I tasted and would say the same as above.  In my cup is the Teloijan tea. I took it outdoors and enjoyed sipping in the morning sun and imagining sitting near the tea fields of Assam, India.

Assam teas from Lochan Teas definitely worth sipping.
You can find them at https://www.lochantea.com
Tell them I sent you. 

Linking to Bernideen at http://blog.bernideens.com/

9 comments:

Bernideen said...

I enjoyed your tea review! The cup and saucer are sure pretty too! Thanks for sharing.

La Tea Dah said...

Thank you for the lesson in Assam teas. And for recommending Lochan teas. Your yard is serene and lovely. And the teacup, perfect for this post. I wish I were there right now...

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, the first tea I ever had were black teas, and English Breakfast is actually my favorite. Wow, to have an assortment of teas from India, that sounds nice. I've never put milk in my tea though, that doesn't suit me. Coffee, yes, but teas, no thank you. : )

~Sheri

Tracy said...

Oooo... a pot of a Assam is a LOVELY way to start the day! And with such a lovely cup too! This was a great tea tutorial, Marilyn! I do like Assam teas. I like a strong, rich brew...Ceylon and Assam blends I'm really fond of, especially during the winter months. In spring and summer, I venture more into the "lighter" teas, herbal, some greens... A sprig of fresh mint from the patio in a hot cup of water is a great brew! :) Happy Days... and Happy Sipping ((HUGS))

Rosemary said...

Assam teas always hold a special place in my tea stash. Love the bold flavor that they provide. Your photo compositions are lovely, as usual!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, I love Assam, whether or not I can notice any subtle differences among them! Just pour me a cup, with or without milk, and I'll be happy. Love your Brown Betty in the outdoor setting--it really shines there. And, of course, I'm always a fan of blue and white. Your poem and photos make me want to take my shoes off and step outside.

Margie said...

Love your pretty red and yellow chairs. They're perfect for outdoor tea times.

Jeanie said...

I think I need to toss a bunch of tea that's probably 7 y6ears old or more. I admire you doing one a day! That tea cup is fabulous!

Adrienne said...

A great review. I love your cup and saucer. I find I'm more inclined to the sturdy cups and saucers rather than fine bone china, although I do love the beauty and gentle touch of bone china. Your morning tea spot is delightful and a bit enchanting. No tea served in my yard these days - a big project my sweetheart is working on has brought tools and garden things and bikes and boating items galore to the yard. A new garden/storage shed will soon be in place and I'm assured that I will be able, once again, to enjoy peace and quiet in my yard! A fine cup of tea will be in order when that happens.
~Adrienne~