Wednesday, July 31, 2019

At Twilight

 As twilight descended on a summer evening recently I ventured to a farm nearby.
Along with me, my "live-in gardener", and another couple we joined people
from different lives over a meal from the farm.
 It has become our summer tradition to do this
and I look forward to the time over food and fellowship with others.
 We were greeted with a table of appetizers as we waited to be seated.
 Each item came from the farm where we were or
nearby at another farm.
I could have just stopped here and nibbled the night away;
but there was more.
 The chef worked nearby, such magic he plated and sent for us to enjoy.
Now I must say, my intentions were to show you the food,
but enjoying savoring the evening delights the evening slipped along
without a picture to share.
There was fresh corn on the cob, salad with lettuce and peaches, green beans,
tiny little roasted potatoes, chicken roasted with a lovely rub, bread,
and blueberry buckle.
 Well I did finally realize I was enjoying the meal when
the blueberry buckle was served.
A picture was snapped and then to my delight I did eat it too.
 The evening slid more deeply into twilight as I noticed the sun go down behind
the big oak tree.
What a special way to celebrate summer and time of fresh garden delights.
Summer is never complete until there is a meal under the twilight sky,
food from the garden or the farm with flavors that sing to my soul.

9 comments:

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What a truly wonderful tradition! The setting...the table...the food! Thank you for stopping by to see the photos of my daughter's baby shower - it was so fun!

Dianna said...

What a beautiful evening. That kind of self-reliance is a dream for me! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

mamasmercantile said...

That is a fantastic tradition, long may that last. What an beautiful evening and so many elements of it to savour, not least the fellowship.

marysuze said...

We've been eating outside just about every day. A lot of it is garden to table but I cannot claim such elegant fare. Although, I do also have a live in gardener. Sue

roughterrain crane said...

Great. Good foods and talks always make us happy.

Tracy said...

This is such a wonderful thing... what a wonderful thing to look forward to each summer! So delicious... so beautiful... so blessed! :) I feel like we were right there along with you, Marilyn! :) ((HUGS))

Angela McRae said...

I think it is *wonderful* when we're so busy visiting with others that we forget (or don't have time) to take photos. I have to remind myself sometimes in this new social media age that not every moment in life has to be documented!

Jeanie said...

This sounds wonderful! I love eating "close to the source" -- eve if I have to travel a bit to get there! Wonderful images, one and all and what a beautiful evening you chose to share this meal. I'd love that, Marilyn!

Rosemary said...

What a very special evening - good food, good friends, beautiful setting. Thanks for sharing!