Wednesday, July 24, 2019

TeaFestPDX - Another Year in the Bag!


What can I say but with every event a little rain must fall.
Actually this is the British Tea Tent, which was set up last Friday
and ready to go for Saturday.
During the night the sprinklers came one and soaked everything.
So with the opening time of 9:30AM we pulled all the tables and chairs out of the
tent at 8:30AM to let the sun dry out the chairs, tables, and tablecloths.
At 9:30AM we pulled everything back in the tent and set up for the first event
in the tent at 10AM. We made it with some damp tablecloths, but we made it!
The teacups had to all be wiped down too, 
but thankfully no food was there yet.
At 10AM the first event was set to begin.
Thanks to the presenters for helping to dry things off.
Let the festivities begin!
 Lisa Hand and her two assistants came in full Victorian costume.
The presentation was Afternoon Tea and Victorian Pretties.
A cream tea was served as Lisa shared.
The scones were provided by Newberg Bakery and looked delicious.
The tea for my tent was provided by Twining Tea.
Magazines were provided by Tea Time Magazine.
Flowers, teacups, and tablecloths came from my own home.

 The second event was Teri Gelber of T-Project, a local tea shop,
sharing tips for blending your own tea.
Teri is a former food editor for a Los Angeles newspaper, 
so blending tea for her is just like creating new recipes.
 The third event of the day was Emily Martin, the sales rep for Twining Tea.
She shared the story and history of Twining Tea.
I was fascinated by the new product they are coming out with next year.
It is a teabag that you can toss in your tea canister, shake, and have
a lovely bottle of flavored water much like what you buy in cans and bottles now.
With this product you will be able to use and reuse your own container.
 Since I don't often have opportunity to visit the full festival,
this year I planned a 50 minute break to quickly make my way
through the other events.
It was quick for sure because there were close to 50 vendors.
 I always make a brief stop to see what is happening in the back 
of the vendor area.
Lots of tea sipping for sure!
 Then entering the big tent is where you find the most action and people.
Everyone was enjoying themselves and definitely tasting tea.
The tea farmers, Jason and Timmy, came from Mississippi.
It was great fun to meet them in person.
My dear friend, Ana, was helping out at the Floating Leaves vendor booth.
In the back Shuiwen was serving tea.
Lucky were the ones that got to sit with her there.
Everywhere you could see beautiful teaware and people sitting or standing with a cup of tea.
 Back at the tent there was another cream tea and music.
Mike Doolin, a local guitarist, serenaded the attendees as they nibbled 
on scones, fruit, and sipped tea.
The table at the front was holding the free tea and magazine.
Many stopped by to help themselves.
Babette Donaldson, author of the Emma Lea books, shared on having tea with children.
It was fun to sit in on this and watch our one little attendee picking
out books from Babette's table to look at.
And at the end of the British Tea Tents day was one final speaker, me.
I spoke on taking tea outdoors, my all time favorite thing to do.
Not really being a speaker this is a real learning experience.
I will be doing this same talk in October for a tea shop in town.
By the end there wasn't as much sipping,
I think people had their fill for the day.
It was another good year with close to 2000 in attendance.

Maybe next year you will plan a trip to Portland, Oregon during tea festival time?
If not, just come on over and sip tea with me.

14 comments:

Time Traveling in Costume said...

This looked like a lot of fun. And I would have loved to be there in Victorian costume too. :)
Val

Adrienne said...

I'm so sorry I had to miss the Tea Festival this year. Thank you for sharing bits of it so I could enjoy your day. And I am SO glad my dear friend, Lisa Hand, helped in your area. The 'rain' on your tea tent was an incredible issue but it's good you could all rally and save the day!
~Adrienne~

Mary said...

Marilyn this was a fabulous tea event - so many people involved and wonderful attendance by looks of it! Glad you took time to look around yourself, and thanks for sharing such good photos of all the exciting goings on!

So, obviously someone forgot to turn off the programmed sprinkler system - quite a faux pas which could have been a disaster had the food been laid out! Glad the sun helped in drying out.

You look awesome giving your talk - I bet people were enthralled learning more about tea picnics.
BTW, wish I was brave enough to wear sleeveless out in this heat!

Bernideen said...

We have all been told that experience is always the best teacher. I do believe this to be true. The British tea booth looks delightful and having made the best of difficult circumstances - I think it looks charming.

Bernideen said...

Perhaps they will add some british flag banners next year!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Sounds like a rocky start- but a great day!

Rosemary said...

Marilyn, This looked absolutely perfect! Sounds like you handled the rocky start like a pro and just took it in stride! What a busy British tent you have at this festival. What a great attendance! And loved the photos you captured at TeaFestPDX. Why oh why is it so far away?

Linda P said...

I trust that you are having a restful week after what looks like a very popular and successful event. Your participation and generous provision of flowers, teacups and tablecloths in your tea tent brought from your own home must have been much appreciated.

mamasmercantile said...

After a rocky start it seems like the perfect day. hat an event, I do so wish I lived nearer so that I could have joined in the fun and certainly taken tea with you.

La Tea Dah said...

Totally awesome blog post! I finally had time to sit down and relish this post. You are amazing, Marilyn! What a lot of work you put into this. I'm glad your presentation went well --- and I can see your wonderful copper tea kettle up front with you. The entire event looked to be very successful. A wonderful time for all! Thank you for sharing this!

Linda Jennings said...

I would love to attend. What a perfect topic for you to present!

Antiques And Teacups said...

Fabulous! Obviously the showers weren’t a problem... but you WERE in the British tea tent! Lol! I do so love tea festivals. Looks like it was a total success. Well done Marilyn!
Ruth

Tracy said...

Oh, wow... the rain! What a scramble that must have been before the opening! Thank goodness the food had not been set up yet! Soggy sandwiches...!! ;) How much time, energy and effort goes into something like this--VERY much to be admired. And what a treat for us (especially us far away, not able to attend) to feel like we were there with you. Glad you had a good break to be able to enjoy some of the festival yourself. Those new tea bags Twinings will be offering sound really good--can't wait for those! :) Thanks, Marilyn ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

This is a great post, Marilyn. Loved all the photos, too. They really tell the story. I know how hard you work on this event and it's wonderful to see it come off so well. Almost perfect -- apart from the rain! (Which could have been much worse in the end, but still, that would have the heart pumping a bit!). I would have loved to have heard you speak and taste so many teas and learn new things!

You really rocked it, my friend. I know it's a big event and lots of people have their tasks. But I also know how hard you work on these -- and clearly, it shows in the success. Congratulations!