Friday, September 20, 2019

Entertainment - Ashland and Jacksonville

When traveling to Southern Oregon my "live-in gardener" and I actually were
traveling for entertainment.
In all the years we have lived in Oregon we had never attended a play at the Shakespearean Festival.
Finally we made it to a play, Alice in Wonderland.
Well not exactly Shakespeare, but fun for sure.
No pictures allowed during the play, but before I snapped a picture of the stage.
It was fun to sit under the stars and watch the antics of Alice and all the characters,
but with a twist.
It took me awhile to let go of the Disney image of the blond Alice,
but soon I did and it was pure enjoyment.
The Shakespeare Theaters are in Ashland, Oregon, just across the border from California.
It is a fun place to stroll and shop too; and that we did!
Lithia Park is part of the stroll, as it is almost part of downtown.
Yet, it suddenly takes you into the trees.
We were amazed to find a gathering of wild turkeys in the park.
After a bit of shopping and strolling we headed for Jacksonville, Oregon.
the actual reason that brought us to Southern Oregon.
Both towns are historic towns that were part of the Applegate Trail,
a side trip of the Oregon Trail which connected Portland to San Francisco
during that era.
Levi had advertised on the brick wall in Jacksonville and it was
fun to see it had survived many years there.
Strolling through Jacksonville I just loved seeing the old homes, churches,
and little hotels. And if there is a chair to draw my eye to, I
can imagine sitting there, relaxing and enjoying the day.
If it is an Adirondack chair, all the better!
And with a garden, just swoon worthy!
The churches didn't disappoint either!

But this all brings me to why we were in Southern Oregon.
My "live-in gardener" knows I love the music of Diana Krall, a jazz singer.
When he saw she was going to be performing at the Britt Festival, he bought tickets.
From there the rest of the trip was planned around this special event.
Not everyone knows Diana Krall.
My adult children know of her as Elvis Costello's wife.
Her music touches my heart and her band is amazing too.
What was fun sitting in the audience was picking up on her sense of humor, I loved it.
Most of all I loved just sitting there and being moved by the music.
Enjoy a little music by Diana Krall.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I know Diana Krall. I've never seen her in concert but have heard her often and seen her in specials and what a great concert that would be. And you know I'd love the Alice, too. Love the set -- looks like it could be very versatile for going down the rabbit hole! You've having a fabulous time on this trip -- gardens, lovely homes, theatre, music! All my favorite things!

Thelma said...

I like Diana Krall. Looks like you had a nice outing.