Monday, September 23, 2019

Garden Quotes 2019

 Happy First Day of Autumn!
Applesauce cake and a bracing cup of tea are calling me.
Flowers from my garden delight me.
Pumpkins and apples are my harvest joy.

"In the garden, Autumn is, indeed the crowning glory of the year, bringing us the fruition of months of thought and care and toil.  And at no season, safe perhaps in Daffodil time, do we get such superb colour effects as from August to November."
-   Rose G. Kingsley, The Autumn Garden

 
I love the colors of both Spring and Autumn.
How about you?

I thought you might enjoy the gift of my favorite applesauce cake recipe.

Applesauce Cake

2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 16-ounce (1 1/2 cups) applesauce
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans, but original recipe called for walnuts)

Into mixer bowl, sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, baking powder, and spices.
Add applesauce, shortening, and water; beat 2 minutes.
Add eggs; beat 2 more minutes.
Stir in raisins and nuts. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes.
I often make smaller loaves and freeze some of them for later.
Ice with a butter cream icing or sprinkle with powder sugar or eat plain. 

Enjoy the day and Happy Autumn to you, dear friends! 

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Applesauce cake sounds really wonderful -- especially with your tea! It looks so pretty here, too. I would be inclined to make mini-loaves (resist too much temptation!)

That seems a very tasty fall kind of thing. I think I may have to add this to the recipe list!

Lorrie said...

Applesauce cake sounds delicious - and I happen to have some extra applesauce in the fridge that didn't make it into the canner. Your photos are just lovely.

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful photos for a beautiful time of year. Your applesauce cake recipe sounds delicious definitely one I will be trying.

Jeanie said...

PS -- beautiful staging on that overhead shot!

Red Rose Alley said...

Ok, that second picture should be in a magazine, Marilyn. The colors of Autumn, the applesauce cake, the tea, I love everything about it. Your applesauce cake looks so moist and Yummy. I just made a lemon cake with white frosting, and it was the moistest cake I've made - turned out so good.

~Sheri

Tracy said...

LOVE these photos, Marilyn... very beautiful! And that cake looks dangerously good! ;) ((HUGS))