Friday, August 11, 2023

First Capital of the Oregon Territory

 The view is of the falls and paper mill in Oregon City on the Willamette River.

Recently my grandson and I visited the Museum of the Oregon Territory.

Oregon City is the end of the Oregon Trail.

From the windows of the museum we could see the waterfall in the Willamette River and the paper mill. This area was not to long ago given back to the American Indian tribe, which originally fished these waters. They have plans to redevelop it. I can't wait to see what they do. D and I learned that the falls provides electricity for about 6 cities including Portland. There are locks there and after reading my blog friend, Jeanie's, blog about locks in Michigan, I think this lock should have a tour boat too.

After we left the museum we visited the grounds of the McLoughlin home and burial sight of Dr. John McLoughlin and his wife. John was the chief factor of the Hudson Bay Company and later became the mayor of Oregon City.



As you see this sight is part of the National Register of Historic Places. Though it was not open when we stopped, it was still fun to walk around the grounds. The little yellow house next to the McLaughlin house is Barclay House, which had been the home of Dr. Forbes Barclay, a Scottish-born physician employed by Hudson Bay Company.

When my daughter, D's mother, was getting ready to start kindergarten, there was a tearoom run by volunteers in the Barclay House. I took her there for tea to celebrate the start of school. It was such a special memory for me in my tea adventures. The tearoom is no longer there, but I think they should revive it.

 
 Oregon City was the first incorporated community west of the Missouri River. It had the first newspaper west of the Missouri and the first post office in the Willamette Valley. There are many firsts and historic locations around this community along the river. Since my grandson attends school in this community I hope he gets more opportunities to explore and learn about this rich history. I need to do more exploring too.
 
Do you like exploring right in your own back yard?
Recently I have been trying to do more of that and quite enjoying it.
 
Happy exploring this weekend, dear friends!

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful trip -- and trip back in time, too. That memory of the tea with your daughter is really a special one and I bet Barclay house is wonderful. It WILL be interesting to see how the land is redeveloped.

Red Rose Alley said...

It's interesting to hear about the different areas in Oregon. I have not been there in a long time, the last time when my brother-in-law lived there. What a very special memory you have of your daughter starting kindergarten and the tearoom. Visiting The Museum of the Oregon Territory sounds like a great day with your grandson.

~Sheri

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog