Monday, October 30, 2023

Word Magic

The word this week is LAUGH or LAUGHTER

Definition:

"make the spontaneous sounds and movements of the face and body that are the instinctive expressions of lively amusement and sometimes also of contempt or derision.
"she couldn't help laughing at his jokes"

 What I am thinking of more than "derision" is "amusement". Sometimes we just need amusement or laughter to distract us from the sorrows of life. Halloween just seems to be a time for me to notice the smiles and the humor in others, from the faces carved in a pumpkin to the sheet pulled over the head.  

A friend went to a party this weekend and I loved her simple humor in her costume. She was a deviled egg and also took deviled eggs to the potluck. All she did was wear devil horns and a shirt with an egg painted on it. That just made me smile; so simple, but creative.

 Driving in the country recently I found this farm with smiles all around the grounds. Again I smiled.

Yes, there is so much sorrow and hurt happening in the world that for today I need to notice the smiles.



Sometimes even the scary picture or a scary costume can make me smile when balanced with a smiling pumpkin.


As I am writing this post I seem to be using smile, but wondering what actually would make me laugh out loud, with abandonment?  Just totally silly laughter, the kind that is hard to stop. And who would want it to stop when it is so much fun? When I was a young girl, maybe around 8 years old, I remember sitting out on the ground with a neighbor boy at dusk. Most of the kids in the neighborhood had been called in for dinner, but the two of us just sat there laughing. He was really funny, but I hadn't talked to him much. But the evening everything he said made me laugh uncontrollably. I still remember that laughter and it puts a smile on my face remembering.
 
I often would tell friends that the reason my "live-in gardener" married me was because I laughed at his jokes.
 
 
Laughter makes me feel better and it heals my spirit.

Have a great week, dear friends!





1 comment:

Jeanie said...

When I met up with my roommates last week, we met at a restaurant and were there for three hours -- and during that entire time we laughed. Not smiled, but big belly laughs. (I'm sure they wished we'd go away!) It felt so good -- and it continued after and into the next day. We need that. Especially now.