Friday, March 1, 2024

Celebrating

As my "live-in gardener" and I have gotten older we realize we don't need gifts of things; so sometimes we give gifts of experiences. For his birthday this year I gave him a gift of a couple nights at the coast. I found a place that had a fireplace and view of the sea; so if it was too wintery we could sit inside by the fire, enjoy the view, sip tea and read. This week that is exactly what we did.


The view from our window.


On Wednesday we took a drive in the rain just to see the sea from different locations along the ocean highway.



Two lighthouses were on our radar; so we drove south from our motel. The first was at the south end of Newport, Oregon and the second was spotted on the way back north at the top end of Newport, Oregon.


The bridge over the bay in Newport, as seen from the first lighthouse.


OK, here is the second lighthouse, which I think is quite beautiful. It sits out on a bluff and I thought I would step out of the car to snap this picture. Let me tell you, I have never tried to stand in such a strong wind and pouring rain to take a picture. I almost blew away and had to hold onto the fence to do one snap. My hair was soaked and began it's curly adventure on top of my head. It was indeed quite an adventure for one picture.


The last morning before we left I actually spotted the first sign that there was blue sky behind those clouds. It was wild weather, winter weather indeed; but we loved it.

It does the spirit good to take a little adventure occasionally and this was both a gift for my "live-in gardener", but I benefited too.


Now there was one more stop before leaving the sea. There was a pod of food carts not far from our motel and I had found on Instagram one that announced it was crab season. I love crab, but hadn't had good crab for years. This particular food cart said they had crab rolls and who could resist if you love crab? So before we headed home we treated ourselves to the best crab roll ever. It was truly amazing. If you ever find yourself in Lincoln City, Oregon I highly recommend stopping at The Pines Dine food cart pod. This cart was Rook and Larder, but there were other amazing carts with all kinds of delicious looking food.

What a treat.


 Do you give gifts of experiences?

I highly recommend it. In fact, I like it so much I have begun giving my grandson gifts of experiences. For Christmas I got tickets to a play for he and his mom and they really enjoyed it. Then just because gift, I recently found tickets for them to go to another improv adventure with the Children's theater in town.

Well now it is Friday; so have a terrific weekend, dear friends!

Sending love,

Marilyn

5 comments:

Linda P said...

I could not at first post a comment. However, success at last! I hope it is successful as I want to say that your trip to the coast looks amazing. It must have been a wonderful sight to observe the wildness of the sea on such a day. I haven't had a crab sandwich since we went up to the island of Lindisfarne off the Northumbrian coast in the north of England. It's a reminder of an interesting visit. Thank you. Have a good weekend Marilyn and a happy March.

Linda P said...

I could not comment before and will try again. Your trip to the coast must have been a wonderful experience Marilyn. (We live inland so rarely get to the east coast of England). Your photos remind me of coastal visits especially of a trip to the island of Lindisfarne on the Northumbrian coast when we also enjoyed a crab sandwich. The sea looks wild. Thank you for sharing your amazing photos.

Lorrie said...

Our children have asked us to give gifts of experience to the grandchildren. They don't need more stuff these days. My live-in renovator is having a birthday later this month and I think a little getaway might be the perfect gift. Looks like you had a wonderful time, and that crab roll - mmmm!

Jeanie said...

I much prefer the gift of experience. It's communal and fun to do together. I've started doing that with a good friend, as well. It may be a road trip to a museum or day out, but something together. Rick and I have done that, too. Yours looks just fabulous! Beautiful country, rain or shine. That crab roll looks to die for!

Red Rose Alley said...

What a thoughtful gift to visit the ocean for your husband's birthday, Marilyn. These are such pretty photos of the ocean. I haven't been in a long time, since the mountains call my name more. Your window view is incredible. Looks like you got a place right on the beach area. Those lighthouses are always so grand. And the crab roll looks amazing. You know, crab is one of the few fish that I do like. : )

Have a splendid week, Marilyn.

~Sheri