Saturday, March 9, 2024

Strong Women

Yesterday was International Women's Day. 

Recently I had been thinking about strong women in my life, women I know that are strong. Now I don't necessarily mean that they lift weights and have strong muscles, but they are women that know themselves, speak out, and at the same time respect those around them. I have always been drawn to strong women and have wanted to emulate them, be them, and find my place in among them. I have met them in different parts of my world and observed them from afar. It makes my heart happy to see them move forward gracefully in a career, as a mother, as a political activist, a teacher, a single women, or a wife. I love that they speak up for women and speak out for equality and rights.

This is my friend, Diane. She amazes me with her strength. She is raising her two grandsons after her daughter was in a serious car accident. Each day she has her struggles, but rises above them to smile and be the strength needed for her family.

My daughter amazes me each day too. A strong single mom that works to keep food on the table and a roof over her and my grandson's head, plus goes to school where she will graduate in June with a Master's in Social Work.


This was my mom. She was a woman that her family called "the stupid one" and yet she raised two daughters to become good women, she prayed for us each day, she kept a clean house and she loved most dearly her family and her close friends.

Now I most often didn't think of my mother as a strong woman, but as I have become an older woman and looked back on my mother's life I realize she was exactly that. If she didn't believe in something or agree with something there was no way anyone could change her. She stood for what she believed. It might have been in silence, but there was no moving her. Some people might say she was stubborn, but now I believe she was being strong.


This is my dear friend, Annette. She also raised a beautiful son as a single mom, has fought for social justice and works for Habitat for Humanity. She is an amazing spokes person.


Here is me wearing the quote that I will end this post with. I love being a support for strong women and doing my best to be one too. Sometimes we don't see the virtual in ourselves as readily as we see them in others, but I try each day to be the strength I see in others.


 

I met Stephanie through blogging and have become dear, dear friends. She is one of my tea buddies; so yesterday we celebrated together over tea. We both have March birthdays, so part of the celebration was just celebrating us. Stephanie is a kind and gentle spirit that educates writing, meditation and diversity. I am so proud of the work she does.

 

I have met many women online and through the tea world and smile to see them speak up for what they believe. They may speak about world issues that touch their heart or injustice to a child. In my church there are women that stand for the rights of the indigenous, those who have had to leave their country because of political strife and those that genders are different than what they were born with. Each woman is different and in their strength let's their light shine. I love all the variations and colors each woman brings to the table.

 

Here's to strong women

May we Know them 

May we Be them

May we Raise them

Anonymous

 

Happy weekend, dear friends!

Sending love, Marilyn

3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend who's daughter was in a car accident, and she is taking care of her grandsons at the time. That must be so hard for her. I loved the photo of your mother. And she sounds so special. She was so wise, taking care of her family and praying for them every day. Can I ask, why was she called the stupid one? Her character sounds just the opposite. And lastly, I love the quote you shared. I used it on one of my very first blog posts. It's a keeper. ; )

~Sheri

*your daughter looks like you in this picture.

Lorrie said...

What a lovely tribute to some of the strong women in your life, Marilyn. You, also, are a strong woman who contributes much to the world. Love the quote you used.

Jeanie said...

This is such a terrific tribute to women who have made an impact on your life. You're right about strong -- it's not lifting weights at the gym; it's lifting the weight of real life -- children, financial issues, death and loss. The photos are beautiful (especially the one of your daughter -- I can see such a resemblance!) I, too, have had some wonderful female role models in my life. We are blessed. And that quote is spot on.