Friday, May 10, 2024

Sharing the Garden with a Friend

 

 This month the Lan Su Chinese Garden is celebrating AANHPI (Asian American, Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander) Heritage Month. As you follow along in this post you will see the color yellow which they are using for this celebration. 

A friend had never been to the gardens; so yesterday she visited with me and we shared tea together as we celebrated a beautiful spring day.

There were clothes representing each of the ethnic groups on display.

Spring was definitely in the garden.

It was lovely to sit over a good cup of oolong tea and a mooncake. My sort of perfect day.

The teahouse really beckoned to sit awhile.

A walk over the bridge. We did spot a few koi, but the water was rather murky. I thought of the song "Bridge over Troubled Waters" as I peered down. Normally we have a better view of the fish.

Some glimpses of yellow in the lanterns and flowers.

Well there were other colors too, but I was noticing the yellow for the celebration.


There was an art show of Japanese Mending. I was fascinated. It is visible mending in beautiful stitches and patterns. I am really tempted to try it on some vintage quilt squares I have tucked away.

"Sashiko is the Japanese art of repairing fabric with geometrical patterns to give it strength and beauty. It is similar to the kintsugi technique of repairing objects with gold."


Because yellow is my favorite color, it just made me smile to see the yellow lanterns.


It was a special day to spend with a friend in the garden.

I hope you too find opportunities to enjoy springtime and share with a friend.

Sending love,

Marilyn

4 comments:

Linda P said...

It certainly looks like a perfect day out, Marilyn, with some interesting facts included. Have a lovely weekend!

Jeanie said...

The shop looks as lovely as the garden. I especially love the lanterns -- they're so pretty!

Red Rose Alley said...

I haven't had oolong tea in a long time. It's one of my favorites, but never find it at the stores. The yellow lanterns are so cheerful and pretty. I have always thought quilt work was such a talent. My sister used to sew quilts. What a lovely day at the Chinese Garden.

Happy Mother's Day Marilyn!

~Sheri

Rosemary said...

Such a cheerful colorful post! Love the yellows and greens blending together. And I found the 'strength' stitching interesting, and immediately thought about the gold used in repairing china.