Thursday, December 4, 2008

Peanut Brittle

This time of the year always brings back memories of my mom making peanut brittle for gifts. She was so good at it. I have not conquered the technique, but I am determined this year to make a good batch. This is my first try and I over cooked it. Here is my mom's recipe.
***
Peanut Brittle
3 cups white sugar
1 cup white Karo syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups raw Spanish peanuts
3 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
Boil sugar, Karo syrup, and water until thread spins.
Then add peanuts and stir continuously;
cook until it turn brownish gold; remove
from fire; add butter, salt, and baking soda.
Pour onto buttered cookie sheets to cool.
After cool and hardened break into small pieces.
***
Now if I could just figure out when the thread spins and the right amount of brownish gold, I think I would have it.
***
What memories do you have of your mom baking or cooking at the holidays?

4 comments:

Teresa's New Life said...

Hi Marilyn,
Nice site.
I'm not sure about the threads and such and am not a peanut brittle cook, but my aunt always said that it cooked better on dry days- anyone out there know why?
Teresa

Denise said...

Marilyn,

My Dad made our peanut brittle. He got the recipe or a gal at work - it was made in the microwave!

Denise

Annie Jeffries said...

Marilyn, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this recipe. I was going to look for one and take up my dad's tradition from long ago. He used to always make peanut brittle at the holidays. Now I can fuse your recipe with memories of his candy. Thank you so much. Stay tuned. I'll post it on my blog when I have it prepared for the holidays.

Unknown said...

As soon as I saw the picture I thought of Grandma. It's as sweet as she was.