Tuesday, November 27, 2012

By the Light we Walked


The night was dark.
The moon only a sliver.
We were greeted by one candle
and then there were others.

We stepped into another time.
A time in the 1840's
when the blacksmith made the axe
to fell a tree.

We shared a cup of tea
with the ladies in the kitchen,
for it was there they toiled most days.

In the evening as the sun went down
there was time for chat by candle light.
Time to engage the needle for repairs
or to make a special embroidery to share.

Yes, in joining many candles together
our way was lite and the darkness no longer
daunted.
 
As the evening closed,
again we walked in darkness with
one candle to lead the way.
Our hearts were warmed by stepping back
and taking a time to join together
and share a time gone by.

Photos and event took place recently
at Fort Vancouver, Washington
A fort that was settled by the Hudson Bay Company
and used as a trading post in the 1800's.
Some pictures are not very clear as flash was not allowed.

7 comments:

The Teaist said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Laurie said...

Wow! I would have loved to have been there. What a special time. I think the photos are perfect without the flash!

Adrienne said...

Loved this! I love Fort Vancouver. My sweetheart and I plan to visit there during the Christmas season. Thank you for the beautiful celebration you shared.
~Adrienne~

Mary said...

Beautiful post Marilyn - love the young girls' faces in the candlelight. Lovely place to visit I'm sure.

Hugs - Mary

Angela McRae said...

I kept expecting to see Tasha Tudor appear!

Jeanie said...

These are just fabulous photos. What a remarkable visit! I know you say some aren't clear but still, what they convey is what counts!

La Tea Dah said...

A wonderful experience! I love Fort Vancouver. You are fortunate to live so close --- so that you can take advantage of opportunities like this.

I think embroidery by candlelight would be difficult. At least for those past 35 or 40.