Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tutorial - Tea Wallet



Many of you know I sell sewing patterns for tea lovers at www.marmaladys.com
As we are heading into the holiday season I wanted to share a gift with each of you.
A tutorial to make a simple tea wallet or tote for carrying tea as you travel or to make as a gift.
Enjoy~

Cut 2 pieces of fabric (both the same or contrasting) 21 1/2" by 6 1/2"
Cut 2 light weight fusible pellon the same size. Make sure it is light weight,
otherwise it gets too bulky.
Iron on the fusible pellon to the back of each piece of fabric.
Note: My corners are already trimmed as I used a quilt batting the first
time around and found it wouldn't work.  Please trim the corners later after sewing the seams.

Cut 3/8" wide ribbon 36" long.
Fold in half and tuck inside the two layers of fabric with the fold peeking
out of cut edge just a little (see in picture on left), place 2" above bottom edge.
Then pin about a 2-3" space on the long edge as I have pinned at top.

Now sew a 1/4" seam allowance all around, except between the two pins.
Now trim corners at an angle and turn through the space not seamed, so you see the outside of fabric.

Make sure the corners are all the way turned and pointed in shape.
Press, then stitch the opening in the seam closed.
 Turn the long edge up 2" and press.
Also stitch the turned up ends closed (see where my thread is on left)
 

Stitch the turned up long side in place approximately every 3" creating
7 pockets.

Tuck teabags, packets of sugar, or other treasures in the pockets.
 
Roll and tie with ribbon to close.

This is my gift to you.
Happy First of November!

12 comments:

Steph said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

So cute and such a good idea!

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the wonderful gift!! Now I need to get busy!♥♫

Tracy said...

This is SWEET! Thank you so much, Marilyn! This makes a lovely gift idea for tea-loving friends. So nice of you. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Joy said...

What a great idea! I will be making some of those. Thanks for sharing it.
Hugs!

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely! And THANK you!

Relyn Lawson said...

Awww... you are so generous.

Adrienne said...

Thank you for your sweet gift! I will make one for me - and maybe a few for friends.
~Adrienne~

Angela McRae said...

And what a great gift it is! Thank you, Marilyn!

Karen's Place said...

on my have to make list :) thanks it is so cute..couldn't help but notice the pretty red and white teapot in the picture

Rosemary said...

What a lovely tutorial. **Almost** inspiring enough to dust off my old Elna sewing machine! Thanks for sharing, Marilyn.

Jeanie said...

This is exceptionally cute! I love how it has the packets for your different teas. I don't know if I could do that without a sewing machine, but maybe. If I tried...! Thanks for generously sharing it!